Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Vintage sound activated disco light

Robio

Nov 7, 2013
Hi all, 'hope you can help with my 1970's very un-groovy problem. I have two sound activated color organ lights made in the 70's that pulse to sounds. They're the type that have a mic built in with a seemingly simple little board, the lights are Christmas bulbs and they don't have any pot switches, just the on/off inline on the a/c cord. One of them works fine but the other I bought off Ebay just strobes constantly. Can anyone tell me the best way to diagnose what's defective? I'm not knowledgeable in electronics but I have a multimeter and I figure if one is working correctly there might be a way to compare the two and spot what went bad. I can post a pic if that will help.

Robio

Nov 7, 2013
Thanks for replying Six_Shooter, will get some up soon as I find the blamed usb cord to my camera!

Robio

Nov 7, 2013
heya, what do think about the blue 25v cap? It's bulging out from the bottom a little. Would it make sense that the lights strobe constantly instead of blinking to sound/music and the cap could be the cause?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The cap looks fine to me (but that doesn't say it is)

Robio

Nov 7, 2013
I meant the purple cap, my bad. Does it look a little pushed out and not flush with the board like the gray one to you?

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Same diagnosis.

What does the other side of the board look like?

Robio

Nov 7, 2013
You wouldn't believe the other side, it was made in the '70's so there is enough solder to make four of these little boards by today's standards. It's all solid and very thick, I think they used a mig welder.

I've decided to just replace all the components as they're so few. Normally you just go buy a new one at Walmart, but they simply don't make these anymore and I love the cool factor albeit cheesy it's part of their charm.

Last edited:

Robio

Nov 7, 2013
UPDATE: Turns out it was the purple 25v cap. Anytime you've got a cap bulging from the lead end and not totally flat with the board, indication that it's toast.

So, for a package of eight for $1.97 online it's working like brand new (if it were the 1970's). Pretty hip and groovy if I do say so.

Robio

Nov 7, 2013
UPDATE: Turns out it was the purple 25v cap. Anytime you've got a cap bulging from the lead end and not totally flat with the board, indication that it's toast.

So, for a package of eight for $1.97 online it's working like brand new (if it were the 1970's). Pretty hip and groovy if I do say so.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Excellent. The cap didn't look bulgy to me. Where was it bulging, and in which image could you see it?