Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Visible light

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Interesting and fascinating topic!
I forget now which website or forum I saw this on around 2017, but this was the answerer's generalized reply (extracted notes from screenshots as printing/saving was disabled):

---

Although electrical EM radiation and visible light may theoretically be made to oscillate at the same frequency, say 500 Terahertz, the radiated format of each is independant of the other.
At theoretical 500 THz, an electrically radiated waveform would be an electrical signal, oscillating at 500 THz, but as light photons do not react with relatively weak magnetic fields, it's not likely that this high frequency "radio" signal would produce artificial "light" though the media.
More likely, it could be a potential (future) weather-modification "cannon", military applications, or super-fast communications platform.
Put another way, if sound waves are transmitted through air at 1MHz, you will get 1MHz ultrasonic audio, not RF, even though they fall within the same frequency range.
Although direct electrical oscillation at light wavelengths (around 0.5um) is not yet feasible, electro-chemical junctions can produce light (LED, Laser, etc).

---

(My added penny): I gather from above notes that they emit light, but not generate the oscillations....

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
For an oscillator to work at the frequency of light, it would have to be smaller than the wavelength of that light, otherwise the signal could not get from the output to the input in time.

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
RF,visible light, infrared etc. all are electromagnetic waves distinct by the wavelength (or freqency, whichever you prefer).

in the context, you are incorrect

yes they RF and light are part of the EM spectrum but that is where the common ground ends
RF = Radio frequencies well below IR and vis light and is generated by very different methods

I stand by my corrections of your comments

I agree with @Ratch 's comments in post #9

Last edited: