Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Vizio TV high pitched squealing noise from the back!!

Caleb Allen

Nov 4, 2014
I recently bought a new Vizio TV probably 5-6 months ago, however recently it's started squealing from the back. The model number is E320-B2. The sound is heard no matter the conditions. Therefore, if it's simply just plugged into the wall and turned on it'll make that noise. So we know that external influence is irrelevant. Does anyone know what it may be? A technician has came and replaced the board to where the hdmi, component plugs, and etc are at (not sure what its called). Any help is greatly appreciated. Caleb.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I recently bought a new Vizio TV probably 5-6 months ago, however recently it's started squealing from the back. The model number is E320-B2. The sound is heard no matter the conditions. Therefore, if it's simply just plugged into the wall and turned on it'll make that noise. So we know that external influence is irrelevant. Does anyone know what it may be? A technician has came and replaced the board to where the hdmi, component plugs, and etc are at (not sure what its called). Any help is greatly appreciated. Caleb.
Can the technician hear the squealing?
I notice this on many CRT sets, and the noise is not heard by many other people...
This could be caused by a loose coil in a transformer. It's difficult to determine the exact cause.

Caleb Allen

Nov 4, 2014
Yes, the technician heard this noise. He said to see if it gets worse and to call if so. But it didn't do it originally and I didn't pay for a squealy TV if you know what I mean. He said something about replacing the power board.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Yes, the technician heard this noise. He said to see if it gets worse and to call if so. But it didn't do it originally and I didn't pay for a squealy TV if you know what I mean. He said something about replacing the power board.
Call him back and get him to look at the power board. If the board controlling the backlight is seperate, get him to look at that too.

I know what you mean about paying for squealing... they should be able to get it fixed, or supply you with a replacement hopefully.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Squealing noises are often caused by loose windings or cores in power inductors or transformers and can be fixed by spraying the offending component with aerosol lacquer. If it happens while the set is OFF, it's probably in the standby power supply.

Caleb Allen

Nov 4, 2014
Kris, it does it no matter whats going on. Watching a movie, playing ps3, anything... so that leads me to believe that standby isn't likely...
Gryd3, I will definitely have him replace that power board. The sound just seems to be coming from that board he replaced which really puzzles me...

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Oh sorry, I misinterpreted your first post. I thought you said it made the noise all the time, including when it was switched off.

There's a pretty good chance you could fix it by spraying the right part. You might be able to use a length of plastic tubing held to your ear, to track down the exact place where the sound is coming from.

Caleb Allen

Nov 4, 2014
No worries I appreciate your input. It's just frustrating because the TV isn't even a year old.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
No worries I appreciate your input. It's just frustrating because the TV isn't even a year old.
Most warranties are at least a year.
Although Kris' suggestion is spot on for identifying and repairing the problem, it should not be your responsibility to do so...
Sadly though, sometimes you need to do a bunch of legwork to point out the problem to the tech to get the problem resolved properly.

If your up for following Kris' tips, grab a plastic tube and hold it to your ear as you poke and prod around to see if you can find where it's coming from. You know... like those cold stethoscopes doctors use ;) (Make sure you use plastic!... we don't want you sending electricity into your ear.)
I would hold off on the spray. As although it would resolve the problem, it may very well cause the tech to claim the warranty is void. If the tech still can't resolve it and you can't get it replaced, then I would use that as a last resort.

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
I worked on a flat screen one time and the high pitch sound was coming from the backlight power board. The person just went and bought a new tv.