Maker Pro
Maker Pro

voice recorder battery corrosion

velive

Jul 9, 2015
I have an Olympus voice recorder on which I had stored a couple of years of creative ideas. I was using Kirkland brand batteries in the recorder, which I subsequently found out are faulty and prone to leaking. I also used these batteries in a mouse; they leaked and the mouse no longer works. That is what happened with my voice recorder as well. The batteries leaked and now the voice recorder no longer works. I tried cleaning off all visible corrosion using q-tips and rubbing alcohol, but no change. I contacted Olympus to ask about repair, but they said that the memory for the device is integrated into the circuit board so repairing the device would mean I'd lose all my recorded messages for certain.
Since the device will no longer work even after being cleaned and inserting new batteries, does that mean the circuit board is irreversibly damaged, or is it possible that putting new tabs and spring in for the battery would fix it?
I am wondering if there is anything I can still try to save this device, and retrieve my voice messages. Where would be the best place to take it to get an expert opinion?
Thanks for your help.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I have an Olympus voice recorder on which I had stored a couple of years of creative ideas. I was using Kirkland brand batteries in the recorder, which I subsequently found out are faulty and prone to leaking. I also used these batteries in a mouse; they leaked and the mouse no longer works. That is what happened with my voice recorder as well. The batteries leaked and now the voice recorder no longer works. I tried cleaning off all visible corrosion using q-tips and rubbing alcohol, but no change. I contacted Olympus to ask about repair, but they said that the memory for the device is integrated into the circuit board so repairing the device would mean I'd lose all my recorded messages for certain.
Since the device will no longer work even after being cleaned and inserting new batteries, does that mean the circuit board is irreversibly damaged, or is it possible that putting new tabs and spring in for the battery would fix it?
I am wondering if there is anything I can still try to save this device, and retrieve my voice messages. Where would be the best place to take it to get an expert opinion?
Thanks for your help.
Are you comfortable and able to open the device and inspect the board? Did corrosion get on the board?
It's possible to simply bypass the springs and clips for the battery and power the board directly.. It's not for the faint of heart though.

velive

Jul 9, 2015
Thanks for your reply.

I am able to open the device from the front. So the only part of the board that is visible is the front part. However, right now it is covered by some kind of black material put there by the manufacturer. I suspect if corrosion got into the device it is on the back side of the board where the batteries are but I am not sure how to access it. Perhaps it is possible to lift the board out? Though I would be afraid of breaking it.Looking up through one of the battery springs where there is a connection to the board, I can see some corrosion may have touched that one spot, but I don't know how far it got.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
where there is a connection to the board, I can see some corrosion may have touched that one spot, but I don't know how far it got.
LIke Gryd3 said, grab it by the horns and open it up.
Take photos of each step. Draw a reference on paper for screw locations and sizes.
Don't force anything, these things are quite fragile. By methodically checking around the recorder, you will eventually find the hidden screws.
What is the black material on the front? card, plastic, fabric? You should be able to remove it.
What model recorder is it?

Martin