Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Voltage change

Wiccan85

Dec 27, 2011
I just bought my dad a pair of grabber battery heated gloves that run on 4 AA batteries each.
What I want to know is how can I change it from the AA's to something along the lines of a 9v to increase the heat in them I also want to know how it will affect the length of use I also need to extend the wires from the gloves to a central battery pack because he works in a cold factory and the pack being on his wrist (as it is now) is not really an option.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'd keep the voltage at 6V, but I'd make up a battery pack to wear on his belt and run wires down the inside of his sleeves.

Practically, it's going to make getting dressed a bit of a pain for him, but it should increase the run time by about 4 to 5 times. They will also probably run warmer due to the lower internal resistance.

If you go this way it's reasoable to start thinking about rechargeable cells

Wiccan85

Dec 27, 2011
I am really new at this. What would be the best way to set this up as 2 separate 6v battery packs one for each side or a 12v pack rechargeable of course. How would i put a adjustable setting on this?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Just use a single 6V pack.

For adjustment you could use a PWM controller, but that's probably beyond your capabilities.

Start simple.

Wiccan85

Dec 27, 2011
The battery pack on the gloves has a switch for low, high, and off should i just use it or is there a 6v battery that would be used. The battery pack attaches through a 9v adapter that is built into the gloves.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Most likely there are 2 heating elements in the gloves and the switch connects 0, 1, or 2 of them.

Leave the switch there, but run the power connection back to a larger battery.

You should use wire that is thicker than used in the device to connect the battery right now as it has (a) probably been under-designed, and (b) the longer wires to the belt will have a greater resistance due to the length.

Wiccan85

Dec 27, 2011
ok then on the larger battery where can I get one that I can recharge and will last awhile

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Buy 4 D size NiMH cells, a holder for 4 D cells, and a charger (that will handle D cells)

Wiccan85

Dec 27, 2011
well that pair of gloves ended up being scrap because they wouldn't heat up enough and we took the apart to see why and it only had about 3" of heating wire on the palm and nowhere else. I have decided to get some 32 gauge multicore wire to make him a set of heated gloves. I am going to use the switch from the battery pack that came with the other pair along with a 6v rechargeable lantern battery. I am not sure how good this is going to work so wish me luck.