Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Voltage drop on an Intruder Alarm pwr supply

Panigale1198

May 25, 2016
I'm getting a voltage drop from 16vAC to approx 2vAC when attaching power supply to a PCB on an Intruder alarm?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I'm getting a voltage drop from 16vAC to approx 2vAC when attaching power supply to a PCB on an Intruder alarm?
Please clarify...
What is the power supply rated for? (Volts and Amps please)
What is the draw of the intruder alarm? (Confirm the PCB in question *is* the intruder alarm, and not a 3rd party add-on)
What length, gauge, and type of wire is used from the power supply to the intruder alarm?

Where was the voltage measured? At the intruder alarm, or at the power supply?

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
That's nice.

Now read your own question and think for a minute. Do you honestly believe your question has enough information in it for anything, let alone an answer that doesn't suck?

ak

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

Assuming the 16V PSU is rated for use with the panel. The initial reason would be that the alarm panel is faulty and putting a very low resistance fault across the PSU
With the power supply disconnected from the pcb, measure across the input power terminals in Ohms range

Dave

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I think davenn's answer is the most reasonable. The other possibility that crosses my mind, is that perhaps the
PCB that you're adding, is drawing more power than the power supply is capable of outputting.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
What's the make and model of the intruder alarm? Did the transformer come with it?

Is this a new installation, or are you troubleshooting/repairing a problem in a previously working system?
Also waiting to see answers in re ratings on transformer, Volts and VA (aka W). Don't know how they're rated in UK, but transformers here in North America are generally rated in VA, Volt-Amperes, or effectively Watts.
The majority of alarm panels -here- can use 16.5VAC, 40VA transformers, but it's different across the pond.

EDIT: When I say the majority of panels, I'm talking about professional-grade systems that a lot of DIYers are now installing, not the cheap Chinese junk you can buy online. Good luck getting tech support for those.
And good luck not needing tech support.