Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Voltage multiplier circuit required

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
That's a pretty good chip. I recall some time ago that Dave Jones made an EEBlog video of his search for a boost regulator that would operate from low voltages.

Rather than me take the credit for indicating how you could search for one, you could watch his video.

I believe he makes good use of the digikey parametric search. It's a great resource even if you don't buy stuff from Digikey.

Now, as to whether 2 stages is a good idea, it does mean you're multiplying your losses, which is never a good thing. However I wouldn't say it would never be an appropriate solution. However, if you can manage to get an inverter operating, a flyback device is well suited to large increases in voltage. The drawback is that it requires a transformer rather than a simple inductor thus increasing volume and expense.

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
You know that might just do it. I have a fly-back i salvaged out of an old TV (Use EXTREME caution if you try this! Cathode Ray Tubes are super deadly if you don't understand the dangers) I have been trying unsuccessfully to make a high voltage transformer Joule Thief type arrangement (I added extra windings to the exposed ferrite). I know it can be done though.

I've seen 12v turned into 125kv this way. So no reason you couldn't turn .5v into 12v. It's a tiny step up in comparison...

I hope srisms comes back. I'm keen to see if we have been able to help.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The big problem with the 0.5V is that you cannot operate transistor switches from this voltage. So I think Steve had the right idea. You need a low power source just to get the control voltage to operate MOSFETs. A Joule Thief might actually work for that part, or you could even use a rechargeable battery. Then you use a full bridge inverter with the high current 0.5V input, getting 1V p-p on a transformer. If using a battery, it could be recharged from the output.

Bob

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
Rather than me take the credit for indicating how you could search for one, you could watch his video.

I just finished watching the video. It's a long one at over an hour, and 150mb+ off your internet if that's a factor. But it was thoroughly worthwhile! There are tons of traps a new hand could fall into. After watching the video I feel much better equipped to search for all sorts of components. Not just DC-DC step ups.

Highly recommended viewing.