Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Volts and Amps

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Could you add amps onto volt or take away amps from volts?

hi John,
welcome

no it doesn't work quite like that

here's the Ohms Law Triangle showing how Volts, Amps (current) and Resistance interact with each other

Ohms Law Triangle.jpg

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
so what would happen if you tried? Would it still be the same voltage?

As I said, you cannot, it doesn't work that way

now lets look at a practical circuit

cct1.GIF

So using the Ohms law triangle from my first post
can you tell me the current flowing in this circuit ?

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
yes :)

now change the battery voltage to 25V
what is the current flowing now ?

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

note that in a series circuit, the current flow is the same everywhere
so the current flowing through A1 at the top is the same as the current flowing through A2 at the bottom

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
he's doing OK Colin, don't confuse him yet, lets work out way up

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Despite others attempts to answer, I have no clue what you are asking.

Amps and volts measure two different things, it makes no sense to add one to the other or subtract one from the other. So the answer is yes, you could, but the result would be totally meaningless. For example what is 10V + 5A (the answer is 15, but 15 what?)

Please explain what you are really thinking (which is what I think Colin was trying to ask.)

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Despite others attempts to answer, I have no clue what you are asking.

Amps and volts measure two different things, it makes no sense to add one to the other or subtract one from the other. So the answer is yes, you could, but the result would be totally meaningless. For example what is 10V + 5A (the answer is 15, but 15 what?)

Please explain what you are really thinking (which is what I think Colin was trying to ask.)

Bob

he's now on the right path, Bob,
He just didn't understand the relationship between volts and amps :)

Dave

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I think you are doing a great job Dave of being a monitor! Make sure the threads don't go off track.
He will learn faster without being confused by people like @CDRIVE .

Keep up the good work. :)

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I am 1.8m tall and weigh 99kg. How can I add these? In fact, I need to do some subtraction:D.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I'm here because the forum alerts said that Marty quoted me, mentioned my name or ... hell I don't know but I'm here, so let's try this. Way back when Dinosaurs ruled I was teaching basic industrial electronics. To help my students relate to the material world I told them to think of electrical circuits as plumbing, where Voltage is pressure, like (PSI) pounds per square inch. Current in Amps is equivalent to water "flowing" though the pipes and measured in gallons per minute (GPM). And finally Resistance (R) as being equivalent to how much water you can push through a 1/2" pipe in one minute as compared to a 2" pipe. The smaller the pipe the higher the resistance (Restriction) to water flow. The larger the pipe, the lower the resistance (restriction) to water flow. Think of a 1Ω resistor as a big pipe and a 10KΩ resistor as a small pipe.

So if you grasp this you will see that "arbitrarily" doing math on any three of of the Ohms Law (a brilliant guy) elements is meaningless. Heck, that's why it called Ohm's "LAW". :) If you violate it you go to electronics San Quentin. :D

Chris