Maker Pro
Maker Pro

volts and attenuation for microphone?

qweets

Sep 26, 2010
hello there : )

ive set up this little pre-amp circuit, and it seems to work o.k. i am using a 5v regualated supply.

741pre.jpg

what i have connected to the input is cheap mic capsule from a cheap headset. i beleive the mic is an electret mic. the amp is not distorting as i replaced the 1k (R2) in the diagram to a 4.7k and that has helped allot. ( i am hoping that is the best place to attenuate the the level, before it goes into the amp? i could place a variable there perhaps?)

ive looked around and most descriptions of these electret mics say they need 2v or more.
i have measured the voltage +- at the mic it is just under 5v so that should be o.k.

i wonder, is there anything i can do to tune ths a little better? i thought to replace the mic capsule in the headset with a panasonic WM-55A103.

any ideas would be cool : )

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
What do you want to tune?
- frequency response?
- gain?
- noise?

qweets

Sep 26, 2010
hi

I think if I get a new capsule WM-55A103 it will sound allot better. i just wondered if all the values seemed o.k.? and if varying the 1k (r2) for pre attenuation before the amp is the best way to do this?

Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Or, calculate it!

The microphone module should indicate what it's output is. Set the gain so that you get the output level you want, presumably something like 1V P-P.

Bob