Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wahl "Peanut" Electric Razor blown

SHesington

Aug 21, 2017
1
Joined
Aug 21, 2017
Messages
1
I just returned from the UK last week, and while there I plugged my Wahl razor into an outlet using an adapter. However, apparently it wasn't a convertor as well, because my razor "popped" and was instantly dead.

Is this repairable? If so, can I do it myself or do I need to have it done by an expert?
 

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
3,284
Joined
Jul 7, 2015
Messages
3,284
Welcome to EP!
The most likely fault is a burnt-out coil. I doubt repair would be economical.
 

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
5,299
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
5,299
I would suspect the manufacturers anticipated this possibility and fitted some circuit protection device - likely and in-line fuse or such. It should be readily apparent if it is a 'replaceable' item.
 

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
3,463
Joined
Aug 21, 2015
Messages
3,463
Sir SHesington . . . . . . .

I would fully expectorate that you hit the unit with a FULL . . . and that's being hea-veeeee on the FULL . . . 220/40 and it zapped the hash inductor that passes off AC to be converted to DC with the Full Wave Bridge and then goes directly into the units "Peanut " powered 5 Watt 120VDC motor.
Pull out ye olde tyme ohm metre and see that the motor was probably saved, but the 47uh inductor is open circuit, while some of the 4 junctions of the FWB might have also crunched down.

INTERNAL REFERENCING:

WAHL_Peanut_Shaver.jpg


73's de Edd
 

davenn

Moderator
Sep 5, 2009
14,126
Joined
Sep 5, 2009
Messages
14,126
Sir SHesington . . . . . . .

I would fully expectorate that you hit the unit with a FULL . . . and that's being hea-veeeee on the FULL . . . 220/40 and it zapped the hash inductor that passes off AC to be converted to DC with the Full Wave Bridge and then goes directly into the units "Peanut " powered 5 Watt 120VDC motor.
Pull out ye olde tyme ohm metre and see that the motor was probably saved, but the 47uh inductor is open circuit, while some of the 4 junctions of the FWB might have also crunched down.

INTERNAL REFERENCING:

WAHL_Peanut_Shaver.jpg


73's de Edd


no image to see
 

VladTheImpala

Feb 18, 2021
5
Joined
Feb 18, 2021
Messages
5
In a moment of naïveté I had basically the exact same experience today.
Got an instant 'pop' sound and sudden feeling of being an idiot :)

I was able to disassemble my Peanut, here's what we've got:
tQFlhKL.png


uDntzgL.png


This thing is the 'low end' model of the Wahl lineup, as I understand it.

If I had a voltmeter, how might I confirm the thing is FUBAR or not?

I'm not sure but I'm not seeing an obvious fuse, at least I don't think so (is the black round bit a capacitor?)

The green resistor has clearly seen better days, and I suppose it needs to be replaced, assuming it's possible to repair.
 
Last edited:

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
485
Joined
Aug 20, 2018
Messages
485
test the motor with a source of power, it might be the motor thats dead?
 

VladTheImpala

Feb 18, 2021
5
Joined
Feb 18, 2021
Messages
5
test the motor with a source of power, it might be the motor thats dead?
The motor doesn't seem to have a rating on it. Is there a way to deduce its expected amperage based on the bridge rectifier?

UPDATE:
I checked the housing of the unit and it revealed 3W.
Seems I'm on the hunt now for some appropriate power source that can do 120V @ 3 Amps.
Don't have a lot of experience working with AC - what might be a reasonable way to power this for testing purposes?
 
Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
6,067
Joined
Oct 5, 2014
Messages
6,067
120 x 3 = 360w bulb in series.
100w for a short time should be no problem.

As always, be aware you are "playing" with mains supply here and it IS lethal, especially in the wrong hands.
 

VladTheImpala

Feb 18, 2021
5
Joined
Feb 18, 2021
Messages
5
120 x 3 = 360w bulb in series.
100w for a short time should be no problem.

As always, be aware you are "playing" with mains supply here and it IS lethal, especially in the wrong hands.

Thanks Bluejets, precisely why I'm asking for "reasonable" ways to test. :)
I think I misspoke before - 3W @ 120V should be, if my math is right, 0.025 Amps. (P = IV)
If possible I'd prefer to test with non-mains source, e.g. an inverter hooked up to some batteries maybe. Is that viable you think?
There's also an electronics shop nearby with a workbench intended for customers. I've soldered there before - wondering if there might be some kind of power supply product I could ask to borrow? What would it be called?

In the meantime this is what I got when I looked up the resistor details. (if I understand right the resistor seems quite likely to need replacing)
upload_2021-2-19_2-24-38.png
 

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
485
Joined
Aug 20, 2018
Messages
485
(the motor)
you could probably run it off any power source, wouldnt be ideal but you could tell it was working or not.

Maybe a millifarad capacitor charged full block from a power supply might be able to pulse it, but maybe not I've only dealt with little motors up till now, this one is a big sucker, i bet it could rip your face off! =)
 

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
6,067
Joined
Oct 5, 2014
Messages
6,067
Vlad....Start changing info in your posts and nobody knows where the hell they are......... just saying.
 

Harald Kapp

Moderator
Moderator
Nov 17, 2011
12,889
Joined
Nov 17, 2011
Messages
12,889
ou could probably run it off any power source,
The printing on the motor states 120 V DC , 32 mA. 120 V DC is not just "any power source".

The resistor has blown some of the insulation. It is probably open circuit now. Try to identify the original colors and find a replacement. I see you have done so. If you're confident about your readings, get a 150 Ω resistor for replacement. Wattage should be 1/2 W or higher.
The bridge rectifier can easily be checked with a multimeter with a diode testing range. Just check all four diodes for correct operation.
The motor can be tested by verifying at least that is is not open circuit. It should show a resistance somewhere in the low kΩ range.
 

VladTheImpala

Feb 18, 2021
5
Joined
Feb 18, 2021
Messages
5
The printing on the motor states 120 V DC , 32 mA. 120 V DC is not just "any power source".

The resistor has blown some of the insulation. It is probably open circuit now. Try to identify the original colors and find a replacement. I see you have done so. If you're confident about your readings, get a 150 Ω resistor for replacement. Wattage should be 1/2 W or higher.
The bridge rectifier can easily be checked with a multimeter with a diode testing range. Just check all four diodes for correct operation.
The motor can be tested by verifying at least that is is not open circuit. It should show a resistance somewhere in the low kΩ range.

Thank you Harald, this is exactly the advice I was hoping for. I will keep my expectations low and hope for the best!
 

TheTopal

Jul 1, 2021
1
Joined
Jul 1, 2021
Messages
1
Thank you Harald, this is exactly the advice I was hoping for. I will keep my expectations low and hope for the best!


Hey everyone, i've just had EXACTLY the same issue as you... connected the peanut to 220v, instantly blown the thing up
I stripped it apart and it looks exaclty as the picture you showed...
did u managed to repair it?

ill be waiting for your kind reply.

greetings from uruguay
 
Top