Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Walky Talky (no internet required!)

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
i think i've ironed out all the kinks now (it was lagging when broadcasting) so until now i was hesitant to share it...

how it works... it uses your modem/router and broadcasts your voice over udp to any other device running the app, i've had it running ok on 3 androids all in different rooms (but too close and they echo unless you adjust the volume down)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.walkytalky.craigs.walkytalky

i've also run out of ideas for it lol... anyone? :)

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
how'd you mean? groups over local area network? because this does not have a server or ip like voip has, it uses multicast over udp...

channels (eg channel 1 to 255) and only if you listen on these channels will you hear it?

or have i misunderstood?

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
The site mentioned mentions "business groups". It means only those in that group can communicate with each other.

As I understand, you don't need a "server" or a "centralised control" to establish links - you only need a data connectivity.

On the face of it, it seems to be a viable alternate to provide voice communication on a "point to point" basis. Internet, no doubt, will enlarge the area of contacts, but this can establish voice links on a LAN / WAN.

Good idea, needs "publicity".

... "groups over local area network?".... Yes.

All the best.:cool:

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
channels/groups can be added at extra cost to cpu time, i don't see much point on a home network...

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
What is the end equipment? If it's going to be an Addon hardware, it will be a deterrent.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
no hardware required...

what it does is discover your wifi ip address, eg 1.2.3.4 then replaces .4 for a subnet broadcast 1.2.3.255

when a packet is sent like that, your modem/router will redeliver the packet to all connected devices on the network, i simply decode and play it back from any android running the app...