Maker Pro

Wall mounted 8 way SCART switch

As the name suggests it, this is a 8 way Scart switch, bound to be mounted on my wall behind the TV.

@xi@g@me

Dec 15, 2016
@xi@g@me submitted a new Showcase Item:

Wall mounted 8 way SCART switch

Hello all ! This is my first project log posted here. Hope you'll like it.

The goal of this project is to create a SCART switch which accepts up to 8 inputs and can support composite video, RGB and S-video (plus audio of course). The switch will be wall mounted for it to have stability and easy access.
It will NOT support audio in both ways, and thus cannot be used in the opposite direction.

For this I first broke apart a 3 way scart switch to see how it worked, and they simply use mechanical switches to chose where the signal goes. I decided not to put any complex circuitry to decode and re-encode the signal as it seems like I do not need to do so. Moreover, it would have created lag.

Details of the steps in following updates, and discussion about the log is in the forum, as it seems to be the rule here :)

Here is my current status, that I will update while I go forward.
  • Schematics : 80% (low signal relays are missing for the 12V slow switch signal)
  • PCB Layout : 10%
  • Case design : 0% (But I have my ideas)
  • Prototyping : 5% (parts ordered)
  • PCB manufacturing : 0% of course
  • Soldering : 0%
  • Construction of case : 0%
  • Test & Validation : 0%

Read more about this showcase item here...

@xi@g@me

Dec 15, 2016
So... electrolytic or tantalum for the polarized high capacitance decoupling capacitors ?

Pete Bronlund

Nov 9, 2015
This is an impressive project but I must ask, is the SCART analog video connector not totally obsolete and there is no new equipment being produced by the main large manufacturers using it? Most TVs that used the SCART connector also used the CRT and were typically an analog video system. That has been confined to history the world over with the new flatscreen LCD a digital system and uses the HDMI connector standard.

@xi@g@me

Dec 15, 2016
This is an impressive project but I must ask, is the SCART analog video connector not totally obsolete and there is no new equipment being produced by the main large manufacturers using it? Most TVs that used the SCART connector also used the CRT and were typically an analog video system. That has been confined to history the world over with the new flatscreen LCD a digital system and uses the HDMI connector standard.

It is totally obsolete, I agree with you at hundred percent. This project is mainly for personal use, as I own a small number of retro game consoles, this would ease me their use because I would not need to unplug / find / replug the SCART cable of a console each time I want to use it (the flat screen with HDMI I own ( ;) )does only have 1 SCART input of course)

I also chose to start with this one, because I have other projects in mind, which are using non obsolete features but are also harder to make. This switch circuit is quite simple on the paper, so I can make my hands on it before going to stronger stuff.

Anyways, thanks for your interest :)

@xi@g@me

Dec 15, 2016
Stay tuned, next update very soon (no, I did not abandon this project. Not this time :) ) !

Sebinouse

Apr 23, 2022
Any news on this project ? I would be pleased to build my own to test it

@xi@g@me

Dec 15, 2016
Hello :) thanks for your interest in this project. However, by gaining experience I noticed a hug number of flaws in this project due to my lack of knowledge in many topics (do you the "DK effect" ?). I preferred to put it into a halt, and will go back to it when I'll finish to work on other personal topics (and gain more experience). Someday, perhaps. Stay tuned :)