Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wall oven junction box

I am replacing my wife's wall oven with the same size oven. (24 inch). The old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

The directions with the new oven say to put the oven on 2x4 runners. My oldoven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

Anyway, the question I have concerns the junction box. My current box is located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the opening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junction box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

My current juntion box is not 23 7/8 above the runners.

My question is this: 1. Why is this a requirement? Does it have to do with heat from the oven or something else?

2. Does this box really need to be moved, and if so what is the best way todo it?

What I dont understand it has on the drawing two pictures of acceptable locations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

As always I appreciate the help.

p.s. concernign my previous electrical switch question, I decided to put the switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

I am replacing my wife's wall oven with the same size oven. (24 inch). The old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

The directions with the new oven say to put the oven on 2x4 runners. My old oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

Anyway, the question I have concerns the junction box. My current box is located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the opening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junction box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

My question is this: 1. Why is this a requirement? Does it have to do with heat from the oven or something else?

2. Does this box really need to be moved, and if so what is the best way to do it?

What I dont understand it has on the drawing two pictures of acceptable locations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, onepicture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box"above" the runners.

p.s. concernign my previous electrical switch question, I decided to put the switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

Here is a link to the manual for my oven. Page 2 figure 1. (It is a singleoven) http://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/8a23f7dc4b1524f9c8c581cc49d48942

The directions with the new oven say to put the oven on 2x4 runners. My old oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

If the fire gets out of the oven, the fact that you have steel instead
of wood runners isn't going to help. I'd be more afraid of steel
runners scratching the bottom of the oven (corrosion issue).

Perhaps this distance is to clear the top of the oven, assuming you
don't have enough space behind it? I'd check this (the new oven might
be deeper) but if you do, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Interference, is my bet.
2. Does this box really need to be moved, and if so what is the best way to do it?

Carefully? Really, it depends on how it's mounted and where the wires
are now. I'd try not to disturb anything, though.
What I dont understand it has on the drawing two pictures of acceptable locations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

Either location will avoid interference between the oven and the box,
once the oven is slid into place.

R

Rich.

Jan 1, 1970
I am replacing my wife's wall oven with the same size oven. (24 inch). The
old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

The directions with the new oven say to put the oven on 2x4 runners. My
old oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal
studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

Anyway, the question I have concerns the junction box. My current box is
located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the
opening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved
junction box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the
runners".

Here is a link to the manual for my oven. Page 2 figure 1. (It is a
single oven)
http://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/8a23f7dc4b1524f9c8c581cc49d48942

The junction box locations specified are chosen so that the oven does not
block access to them. One is in the cabinet above the oven space and the
other in the cabinet below the oven space. With either location the splice
can be accessed without having to remove the oven.

Metal studs are not as strong as the 2x4s will be, and although wood is
combustible, it does not burst into flames until 451 degrees fahrenheit. It
is highly unlikely that they will ever see that kind of temperature. The
metal studs are more likely to spread any heat further out from the oven
than wood will.

What I dont understand it has on the drawing two pictures of acceptable locations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, onepicture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box"above" the runners.

I guess what I was saying is the lower location is not 23 inches away from the runners.

So basically if the oven fits, it does not matter where the junction box is?

Interesting. WHy is it necessary? The oven is not "permanent" meaning it can be removed to acess the wiring.

R

Rich.

Jan 1, 1970
Interesting. WHy is it necessary? The oven is not "permanent" meaning it
can be removed to acess the wiring.

Electrical code requires that junction boxes be readily accessible.

I guess my point is the outlet is never "accessable". The entire enclosure is meant to be covered up with the face frame of the oven. (Even if the junction box were in one of those "acessible" places you would still have to remove the screws holding the oven to the cabinet face frame and pull the oven at least part way out.

Ok. I think I understand now. "Accessible" can mean it is ok if you have topull the oven out.

Last question. Do I move the box to the 23 7/8 requirement above the runners, or just install a recessed box where it is? (Less than the requirement).

B

bud--

Jan 1, 1970
What is "it"?

Circuit breakers must, usually, be "readily accessible".

NEC definition
"Accessible (as applied to wiring methods [j-boxes]). Capable of being
removed or exposed without damaging the building structure of finish or
not permanently closed in by the structure of finish of the building."

It is common to have a j-box behind the oven where the oven is removed
(while attached by the supply cable) to access the j-box. It is in the
installation instructions provided.

This is another post by the OP that was also posted to alt.home.repair,
where it has received many answers. Including that a j-box behind the
oven is "accessible" (defined above).

R

Rich.

Jan 1, 1970
bud-- said:

NEC definition
removed or exposed without damaging the building structure of finish or
not permanently closed in by the structure of finish of the building."

Anything attached is considered building structure or finish. A freestanding
range is not attached and therefore the plug is considered accessible when
behind it. A wall oven is attached (usually by screws) so the junction box
is not considered accessible. Ask any competent electrical inspector and
what they'll tell you is if it's screwed, glued, or nailed down, it's a part
of the structure.

Which is what my origional question was. So I am getting conflicting adviceon what is accessible and what is not.

Has this always been this way or if not when did it change? Like I said my house was built in the 90's and my junction box is mounted directly behind the oven. (Apparently it passed inspection back then....)

B

bud--

Jan 1, 1970
bud-- said:

NEC definition
removed or exposed without damaging the building structure of finish
or not permanently closed in by the structure of finish of the building."

Anything attached is considered building structure or finish. A
freestanding range is not attached and therefore the plug is considered
accessible when behind it.

(The ranges were usually unplugged by removing a drawer at the bottom
and reaching through to the plug behind the range.)

A wall oven is attached (usually by screws)
so the junction box is not considered accessible. Ask any competent
electrical inspector and what they'll tell you is if it's screwed,
glued, or nailed down, it's a part of the structure.

If a 'cover' is attached with screws the j-box is not "permanently
closed in by the structure or finish of the building".

Ask any competent electrician and they will tell you wall ovens are
usually connected to a j-box behind the oven, and you connect with the
oven out then slide the oven in. It is one of 2 methods for connecting
the oven in the instructions the OP provided. Find installation
instructions for a wall oven that do not have that as a connection method.

Can you tall me if a j box can be placed behind a sliding pot and pan drawer?

R

Rich.

Jan 1, 1970
Can you tall me if a j box can be placed behind a sliding pot and pan
drawer?

Yes it can since it is accessible by sliding the drawer out.