Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Want to build ESR Tester

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
I have 40 yrs in experience with electronics ( from Data General Minicomputer to now Micros POS ) but never tried use or build an ESR Tester. I thought its not useful tool for electronics.:D

Can you guys recommend good working, tested ESR project? Thanks in advance.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I think it is something which is becoming more important as the need for low ESR capacitors rises. The fact that ESR can be compromised without any huge effects on capacitance means that it becomes a useful thing to measure.

Here is a page listing a number of kits. I have the one listed third on the page. Altronics still sell it. There are other kits too.

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
I think it is something which is becoming more important as the need for low ESR capacitors rises. The fact that ESR can be compromised without any huge effects on capacitance means that it becomes a useful thing to measure.

Here is a page listing a number of kits. I have the one listed third on the page. Altronics still sell it. There are other kits too.

Thanks for the info.

I want to build ESR Tester. So, I'm looking for good working schematic of ESR. There so many schematic of ESR. But I don't know which one was better. I saw one with ferrite transformer.

How about this one?. No ferrite transformer.
http://kakopa.com/ESR_meter/

Last edited:

danfloun

Mar 11, 2012
Not relevant to your project, but, one of he first pieces of equipment i purchased was an esr tester (blue esr tester) and it proved its worth on only the second device i repaired.

Simply put, the capacitance values were fine but the esr had shot up very high.
Admittedly if you have means of testing leakage and dielectric breakdown you could most likely find the culprit also, but the esr tester is a nice quick test and useful for testing other components too.

debe

Oct 15, 2011
I have built 2 of them same as Steves, the Jaycar type. Wouldnt be with out one for testing electrolytic caps.