Maker Pro
Maker Pro

want to tinker with my UPS.....

corporal_Canada

May 8, 2024
hello, i am a french Canadian residing in the beautiful Philippines, please forgive me if my English isnt UK perfect but here goes...
Okay I have this... Inside is a 12v 7ah ups battery sealed.... But I want to replace it with 2x 12v 50ah solar bank SLA battery, feel free to say if I'm croaching on Oppenheimer territory or I'm onto something genius.... I'm worried that I might burn the charging part of the ups.. but if my french dumba$$ is correct. Having 600 wh or 1200wh will allow my PC and monitor to run for 4 hours instead of 4 seconds in case of a power outage......

my pc tower only pulls 100-130 watts monitor pulls 25-27 watts.. fiber optics wifi modem pulls i dunno 5 watts ??
totalling.. maybe 200 watts

here is where it gets interesting... im currently using these 2x 12v 50ah batteries in my solar system setup... connected to them is a mppt (glorified solar charge controller) into THAT is 3 solar panels that all claim to be 300 watts plus... but.. ive been here long enough not to believe everything China claims...so lets just ASSUME i get a minimum of 150 watts or around that figure.. i TRIED plugging in 3 items into it.. pc tower, monitor.. and fiber optics modem.. assuming the wattometer that i tested with wasnt on its period.. all 3 items pull 150-200 watts... means im pulling more than the panels are providing.. so here is my alcohol induced thinking.. what if i keep the 2 batteries as is and connected the ups insides onto the 2 batteries... and the mppt gives the batteries its tiny 150 or 200 watts and the ups still being duct taped to the wall outlet or grid and yes im kidding about duct tape... gives whats left... this would be handy at especially at night...

yes im aware that the charging circuit will overheat.. i ordered a dc powered fan with pos and neg clamps to negate the heat...
no, i am not half Canadian billionaire genius Elon Musk so i dont know how to test the circuitry of the ups.. i only took dc basics in high school...

more info on the batteries.. both CLAIM to be made in germany.. company called DCpolarity... solar bank.. so... AGM right ?... however there are refilling slots on top so.. im doubtful a bit....

both batteries are linked in PARALLEL using a 6 gauge wire (parallel keeps everything at 12volts in case you forgot)
im aware that 6 gauge isnt sufficient but the batteries and cables are at arms length so i consistently feel for temperature change....there is also a 80 amp fuse from mppt to pos of 1 battery...

what im trying to ask is.. can i keep my solar system as is and use the UPS to refill the 2 batteries without creating a wormhole to Narnia ??

Last edited by a moderator:

corporal_Canada

May 8, 2024
furthermore, im open to making my own basic ups.. if possible...

as it stands, i do have a.. umm.. modified sine wave inverter that has frightening mandarin all over it.. and 1000watts printed in yellow... however.. it does get hot to the touch if i only use my pc tower.. so heres a thought.. the only way i can charge my 2 solar bank batteries is solar power..... this ups.. or a trickle charger.. if you can tell me how i can plug in my 2 solar bank batteries to the grid (local power plant).. just to put into the batteries what solar cant.. im listening..

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
i am a french Canadian residing in the beautiful Philippines, please forgive me if my English isnt UK perfect
I'm from the US. I'm used to it...
I don't look down on no one, unless I am picking them up.
feel free to say if I'm croaching on Oppenheimer territory or I'm onto something genius....
Some things are best unsaid...
Welcome to Maker Pro. :) Did you have a question?

corporal_Canada

May 8, 2024
here.. 2 photos of my solar system if youd like to inspect anything.... please mind the mess.. just because i was miliitary once doesnt mean i will spit polish my boots forever....

Attachments

• 438221292_1114955329556548_7328937535125119580_n.jpg
    438221292_1114955329556548_7328937535125119580_n.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 438223401_1113583533242621_1456517675015913108_n.jpg
    438223401_1113583533242621_1456517675015913108_n.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 4

corporal_Canada

May 8, 2024
i have a thought.. forget the ups.. just stick with the inverter... i bought a simple dc switch to cut power from mppt to battery.. and i will just buy a power charger and load the 2 batteries while i snooze.. and during the daytime i will just switch the power flow from mppt to battery and hopefully with 2x 12v 50ah batteries i will safely be able to keep myself preoccupied for 10 hours a day... hopefully with what is INSIDE the 2 batteries and whatever the solar panel is providing.. it will give me those 10 hours.. my question.. if you can answer this.. should i run low on power during the evening.. can i rapid charge the 2 12v batteries while im operating that scary inverter ?

here is a screenshot of the rapid charger that ive mentioned....

yes it sais motorcycle but thats because Asia is very motorcycle oriented...
i see no problem why this wouldnt charge both batteries that are linked in parallel...

Attachments

• 438246213_2128299850873752_7998873544953190325_n.jpg
    438246213_2128299850873752_7998873544953190325_n.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 1

corporal_Canada

May 8, 2024
438245726_396484970029138_6626933820059617014_n.jpg

okay.. so here is what i am planning to do.. so bear (bare?) with me.. i ordered a "smart" charger.. i will plug this into my 2 batteries(power bank) at night.. pump it full of happy watts.. unplug when i wake up.. and connect that to the mppt to the same 2 batteries.. so i will my use 3 electronics (pc monitor, modem) on the same power bank.. .. and whatever the solar panels actually get.. i kinda use..kinda made my own UPS... this way.. the power bank wont have 2 separate power sources at the same time... AND.. i built in a cut off switch on negative side from mppt to power bank to break the solar charging circuit to safely plug in the smart charger...im no elon musk or Stephen Hawking.. but i SHOULD get 10 hours of use out of this during the daytime... and yes i used billionaire genius Elon Musk first, he is after all half Cannuck...

quick question though.. for my occasional insomnia nights.. can i use my crappy inverter with the power bank while the "smart" charger is charging the power bank ?

AND additional percaution, i ordered a table fan.. with dc clamps to blow on anything that gets too hot.. like the inverter for example.. i did mention that my inverter that has 1000 watts on it and mandarin written on it gets super hot when ONLY the computer tower is plugged in...

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
yes im aware that the charging circuit will overheat..

Why? If the battery voltage and the battery chemistry are identical, the charger doesn't know or care about the capacity; all discharged batteries (of the *same chemistry*) look alike. The charger circuit will run longer before shifting down to trickle mode, but it already has a fan so that should not matter.

Separate from that - the UPS charger probably is not designed to balance the charging of multiple batteries in parallel. Welcome to the real challenge of electric vehicles.

ak

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
i see no problem why this wouldnt charge both batteries that are linked in parallel...

I do. Can you post a sketch of the various components and how you have them connected now, and another with your proposed changes?
Paraphrasing Rear Admiral Joshua Painter,

"Engineers don't take a dump, son, without a schematic."

ak

corporal_Canada

May 8, 2024
Why? If the battery voltage and the battery chemistry are identical, the charger doesn't know or care about the capacity; all discharged batteries (of the *same chemistry*) look alike. The charger circuit will run longer before shifting down to trickle mode, but it already has a fan so that should not matter.

Separate from that - the UPS charger probably is not designed to balance the charging of multiple batteries in parallel. Welcome to the real challenge of electric vehicles.

ak
overheat due to extended charging time.. however.. i believe that will be rectified with my uber rapid "smart" charger... before i duct tape the ups to my power bank.. i will charge the power bank to maximum capacity or till it transforms into a power ranger.. either or.. and if there is a prolonged power outage.. i will just remove the ups from the grid and connect my handy dandy smart charger.. until it gives me a happy chime.. and i will keep the charging portion of the ups safe from Quebec sexual abuse.. sorry if iu sound strange, ive discovered a magical fluid called .. gin.. God i love the Philippines...

corporal_Canada

May 8, 2024
OR, in American:

Tang Yew Berry Mulch.

ak
i appreciciate the translation big guy.. butr seeing as how USian intellect degrades the more south you go and i have no idea, where you reside, i should just keep my french Canadian yap shut before i piss up all the confederates and have mp help at all, have all of you learned nothing from |Montreal born william shatner ? captain of the uss enterprise ?? yes all of us back find it amusing that mr Roddenberry thought it was a good idea to let a french Canadian drive a 50 metric ton starship.. we can barely drive a 1000 kg car.. what was he thinking ????

ak
i just need to keep the ups alive to minimize damage to my vido game object... although.. at this momement.. my ram is corrupted again.. giving me a BSOD every hour... i hope the PSU hasnt been raped by poopy power...

corporal_Canada

May 8, 2024
im so very sorry if i came off sounding like a french Canadian jerkoff.. im simply intoxicated.. they use "proof" here.. not percent.. so i just grabbed a bottle with the prettiest colour..umm. 80 proof ??? i think that is 40%.. normal in my crappy stuck up province... face it.. NOBODY likes celine dion. including yours truly... .. im done before i confess my attraction for my pet hamster.. jk jk jk.. goodnight

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
hello, i am a french Canadian residing in the beautiful Philippines, please forgive me if my English isnt UK perfect but here goes...
Okay I have this... Inside is a 12v 7ah ups battery sealed.... But I want to replace it with 2x 12v 50ah solar bank SLA battery, feel free to say if I'm croaching on Oppenheimer territory or I'm onto something genius.... I'm worried that I might burn the charging part of the ups.. but if my french dumba$$ is correct. Having 600 wh or 1200wh will allow my PC and monitor to run for 4 hours instead of 4 seconds in case of a power outage......

my pc tower only pulls 100-130 watts monitor pulls 25-27 watts.. fiber optics wifi modem pulls i dunno 5 watts ??
totalling.. maybe 200 wattsView attachment 63568

here is where it gets interesting... im currently using these 2x 12v 50ah batteries in my solar system setup... connected to them is a mppt (glorified solar charge controller) into THAT is 3 solar panels that all claim to be 300 watts plus... but.. ive been here long enough not to believe everything China claims...so lets just ASSUME i get a minimum of 150 watts or around that figure.. i TRIED plugging in 3 items into it.. pc tower, monitor.. and fiber optics modem.. assuming the wattometer that i tested with wasnt on its period.. all 3 items pull 150-200 watts... means im pulling more than the panels are providing.. so here is my alcohol induced thinking.. what if i keep the 2 batteries as is and connected the ups insides onto the 2 batteries... and the mppt gives the batteries its tiny 150 or 200 watts and the ups still being duct taped to the wall outlet or grid and yes im kidding about duct tape... gives whats left... this would be handy at especially at night...

yes im aware that the charging circuit will overheat.. i ordered a dc powered fan with pos and neg clamps to negate the heat...
no, i am not half Canadian billionaire genius Elon Musk so i dont know how to test the circuitry of the ups.. i only took dc basics in high school...

more info on the batteries.. both CLAIM to be made in germany.. company called DCpolarity... solar bank.. so... AGM right ?... however there are refilling slots on top so.. im doubtful a bit....

both batteries are linked in PARALLEL using a 6 gauge wire (parallel keeps everything at 12volts in case you forgot)
im aware that 6 gauge isnt sufficient but the batteries and cables are at arms length so i consistently feel for temperature change....there is also a 80 amp fuse from mppt to pos of 1 battery...

what im trying to ask is.. can i keep my solar system as is and use the UPS to refill the 2 batteries without creating a wormhole to Narnia ??
If you replace the 12 V battery with a higher mAh one, you will not damage the charging circuitry. It will take longer to charge the battery. And your PC will run longer.

corporal_Canada

May 8, 2024
If you replace the 12 V battery with a higher mAh one, you will not damage the charging circuitry. It will take longer to charge the battery. And your PC will run longer.
thank you. i am aware of that part.. i just want to take that extra step and keep the ups safe.. with my empty dusty wallet in this capitalist country.. i am struggling.. if i dont need to replace this ups.. why take a chance to break it ???

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
You really should look into upgrading your solar panels .
(off topic): The next time I go to Canada, I am going to fix their "Canadian Bacon".
Often times you'll find photovoltaic systems employ solar Inverters , pure sign wave & modified sine wave. They turn the direct current (DC) output from your solar panels into alternating current (AC).
Apologies if you are already familiar with both...