Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Weak tranceiver???

Oziam

May 26, 2012
Hi Everyone,

My first post here, I know fundamentals about electronics but am learning something everyday. I have a remote central locking module that has a weak signal, meaning you need to hold the remote no further than 30cm away for it to work, yes i have changed the battery in the remote but no change, I have tried different remotes but still no change. I was wondering what can cause a weak signal, is it something easily fixed? Looking forward to your reply(s).

Thanks!

Oziam

May 26, 2012
Hi Thanks for your quick reply, I have replaced the antenna but made no difference.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Have you confirmed the antenna is actually making contact with the circuit and has not broken loose inside at some point?

Sparkchaser

May 22, 2012
Curious, what exactly is a remote central locking module? Is that like a keyless entry for a vehicle of a garage?

Did the unit previously work and suddenly stopped? Is the receiver mounted close to any high power transformers or other transmitters?

Oziam

May 26, 2012
@Coca Cola - Yep have change the actual antenna & checked for any dry solder joints.

@Sparkchaser - Yes it is a remote keyless entry board for a vehicle. It was brand new & never worked right from the start. Couldn't be bothered claiming a return warranty thought I might be able to fix it myself.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Is the antenna and receiver two parts? Might be worth swapping out the receiver... I did it on my Vette to upgrade to the newer cheaper current frequency remote fobs and tire sensors... Actually saved me money swapping out the entire system vs replacing the old dying tire sensors that where nearly twice the cost of the newer ones...

I just picked up a used receiver pulled out of a wrecked car, it's not exactly a high in demand used part so they can be had reasonable...

Oziam

May 26, 2012
Is the antenna and receiver two parts? Might be worth swapping out the receiver... I did it on my Vette to upgrade to the newer cheaper current frequency remote fobs and tire sensors... Actually saved me money swapping out the entire system vs replacing the old dying tire sensors that where nearly twice the cost of the newer ones...

I just picked up a used receiver pulled out of a wrecked car, it's not exactly a high in demand used part so they can be had reasonable...

I have an old board that is similar, I will use the transceiver from that & see if that solves it.
Thanks for all your help :)