Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Web-tech multiple questions: Graphics Dims, DPI, GIF & Video

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Hi EP forum members.
Even though I’ve used various forums for some time, I’m still fairly green when it comes to certain specifics.
I read that 200 Kb is the maximum byte-limit for uploading images to Electronics Point.
This is easy enough to do by resizing and XY dimensions and / or reducing colour depth…
But what DPI resolution and physical dimension is best, or do I just calculate using an on-screen res of 200DPI ?
In general multi-frame GIF’s and video clips will exceed the 200 Kb (image) limit, so what are the upper limits of these (on EP) ?
Are video clips allowed, and if so, what file-format ? (eg FLV, MPG, MP4, WMV, etc).
Reading some posts, I’ve often come across Net-terms such as “Troll”, etc.
Not being very fluent in “Net-speak”, I visited a Google website, which (sort of) cleared the fog.
Does EP have some sort of “online dictionary” for these terms?
The reason I ask is that for example, Trolls, Flamers, etc may not know what is meant when corrected.
Just asking to try self-educate…
(By thinking of the fishing industry, I thought “trolling” was similar to “phishing” to steal or use blogger info or advertising* LOL). :rolleyes:
‘Meme’ was another one that now makes sense.
Interesting stuff.
Thanks, Clive.

*While typing LOL about advertising, above, I remembered this classic example from another (non-electronics) forum:
A pet-related forum, aimed specifically at pet-owner questions and ancedotes, has been “hit” by a serial advertiser who replies to every blogger’s post about their cute cat, dog, parrot, etc with an identical advert, with no mention of his/her pet(s), if any.

The ad goes something like this example:

Dear {poster}, you are a great blogger!
This is a great website, with interesting facts.
I am trying to promote my company for {….. Car Awnings}.
Please leave your contact details at ….email address… so that I may communicate.

What amazes me is that this (phisher?) has not been flamed yet, or better still, blocked/banned.
Repliers to OP simply ignore it and continue with OP’s thread.
Wow.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I read that 200 Kb is the maximum byte-limit for uploading images to Electronics Point.

try to keep them to a max of ~ 100 - 150 kb .... think of the site owner and the cost to him for hosting storage
it's easy to keep images to 100kb or less

But what DPI resolution and physical dimension is best, or do I just calculate using an on-screen res of 200DPI ?

whatever the default .... it isn't likely to be that high

In general multi-frame GIF’s and video clips will exceed the 200 Kb (image) limit, so what are the upper limits of these (on EP) ?
Are video clips allowed, and if so, what file-format ? (eg FLV, MPG, MP4, WMV, etc).

for large stuff like that upload elsewhere and link to them

Reading some posts, I’ve often come across Net-terms such as “Troll”, etc.
Not being very fluent in “Net-speak”, I visited a Google website, which (sort of) cleared the fog.
Does EP have some sort of “online dictionary” for these terms?

not that I'm aware of .... trolling is a common term across forums, I'm sure there has to be a reasonable definition in google

(By thinking of the fishing industry, I thought “trolling” was similar to “phishing” to steal or use blogger info or advertising* LOL). :rolleyes:

Wrong word .... in fishing industry ... it is trawling NOT trolling ( as in dragging nets behind boat to catch whatever) ...

Dave

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Thanks Dave.
.. so I dropped some Phish in the shopping Trawley.. dey wuz cot by Trollin :D
I had found 'Trolling' definition prior to post, means "Abusive remarks/posts intended to incite argument or discontent" (or something).
I wondered if EP had a resource for complete list of these net-terms.
... Then again, people could always google an unknown word.