Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Weller TC202DT2 heater replacement problem

Ian_Andrews

Oct 1, 2021
Hi. Over the course of using various Weller magnet controlled solder stations since about 1986, and replacing the heater (in different irons) maybe 3 or 4 times, I've never had an issue like this.
After replacing the heater the barrel heats up enough to melt solder and the tip remains just warm.

I'm afraid I don't know for sure the model number of the pencil (it has a silver sticker on the handle that no longer has any words on it). But the old heater has TCP-1 on the ring with the screw holes. The station is the type without the iron holder attached, and says on the front WTCPT - output for TC201 or WTL 24v irons only. On the base it says TC202DT2 24V 2A. It is made in Australia.

The new heater is a HE1 replacement element for TCP 24V iron. https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/soldering-accessories/0661986
It is said to be a 50W replacement for the older 45W elements.
I bought a new new BA60 barrel and a new tip at the same time. The new tip is TC201 700F PTA7V. Like the old tip it has a 7 on the blunt end, and 'Weller PTA' on the side.

The heater reads 12.5 ohms across it. There is an open circuit between each of the heater wires and the heater cylinder. I can't work out why the barrel is heating up like this. Have I bought the wrong heater? Any help would be appreciated.