Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What are the most important parts of your projects design?

Quwat

May 31, 2013
Hello everybody

I am making a kit for us electronics hobbyists and I want to know what the rest of you think is important in a design.

I know for me that cost is one of the most important things, but is that just me?

Maybe you think safety is number one? ;)

So I have made a quick little survey, if you are in the mood here are the questions

If your so kind message me what you get

Thanks

Last edited:

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
What you are asking is completely unanswerable.

I have dozens of projects that I am working on, (slowly cycling through each one now and then) but each one comes with different criteria, yes cost is always going to be a concern, but if Im working with low voltage/low current stuff Im not too concerned with safety other than sharp things. As far as precision goes again completely depends on the project, yes I will want precision but accuracy will also play a role, and you want a good balance of each all the time. But again to varying degrees, Im not going to need to know down to millivolt precision when measuring high voltage, but I may need it when dealing with very low voltage stuff.

What kind of kit were you going to put together?
Are you asking this to gather whether to use 1%,2% or 5% resistors or something?

sirch

Dec 6, 2012
I agree with Green Giant and having had a look at your questionnaire I think it's completely off-base. No way am I going to buy a kit that contains any "recycled" parts.You as a vendor ought to be concerned with safety, I'm not, I'm going to assume that what you sell is safe.

If I were to buy a kit it would be because I the kit costs close to the cost of the components plus time saved making a PCB and I would have a high expectation that it will work first time.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Maybe you think safety is number one?

maybe ... think ??? try KNOW

NOTHING is more important than saftey. it MUST always be first on the list for anything you do

Dave

Quwat

May 31, 2013
When I said "Maybe you think safety is number one?"

I didn't mean that not prioritizing safety means that something is dangerous, I mean that it would be less convenient taking measure to ensure you safety.

For example if you make are making a fire place, not making it enclosed saves costs, but it means that more precautions are needed to make it safe (don't let children near it). I don't mean using underrated cheaper components, that could cause a fire.

sirch I meant to say recycled materials, not parts. Yes a kit actually working is an obvious priority, that's why I expect reliability would have a high rating.

Sorry everybody, I will rework my questions into a more specific way.

sirch

Dec 6, 2012
I was a lot more willing to help when I read on the questionnaire that this was for your homework,

Just one small point - you forgot to label the choices at the bottom. I assume that the left was low and the right was high

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I read the questionnaire and all I can say is .."So this is electronics 2013"? :eek:

"Mr. Scott, please lock in on these coordinates and beam me up"!! "Quick!!"

Chris

Quwat

May 31, 2013
sirch
Yes if I didn't need to do it I would just go with my instinct, which is looking accurate so far.

Thanks I fixed the 1-5

CDRIVE

I take it you didn't like the examples I used, feel free to suggest alternatives

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
also a very funny spelling mistake.....

4. If you were make a PCB what enchant would you buy?

we etch (etchant) PCB's not enchant them

enchant means to
1. to subject to magical influence; place under a spell; bewitch.
2. to delight utterly; captivate.
3. to impart a magic quality or effect to.

Dave

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
CDRIVE

I take it you didn't like the examples I used, feel free to suggest alternatives

I'm sorry but I come from a different place in time. Possibly even a different planet. I'm not qualified to give you advice for most of those questions. From what I read in that questionnaire you need input from a lawyer, accountant, political activist, environmentalist and possibly even a priest.
EDIT: Al Gore can replace three people on my list.

enchant means to
1. to subject to magical influence; place under a spell; bewitch.
2. to delight utterly; captivate.
3. to impart a magic quality or effect to.

Dave

Dave, do you remember the thread in the members lounge about the Australian track star warm up video? For most of us it fulfilled 1,2 and 3 . ;)

Chris

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I'm sorry but I come from a different place in time. Possibly even a different planet. I'm not qualified to give you advice for most of those questions. From what I read in that questionnaire you need input from a lawyer, accountant, political activist, environmentalist and possibly even a priest.
EDIT: Al Gore can replace three people on my list.

Dave, do you remember the thread in the members lounge about the Australian track star warm up video? For most of us it fulfilled 1,2 and 3 . ;)

Chris

ahhh indeed she did !!!

D