Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What are these connectors called?

Sidecar Bob

Dec 19, 2021
Hi. I haven't been around here much for the last few weeks but you aren't going to get rid of me that easily :p. Seriously, I've been busy with getting seedlings ready for planting, getting the garden ready to plant them in (most recently crawling along pulling weeds and planting seeds) and a major kitchen renovation so the only thing I've done on the electronics bench lately is sit things on it so they would be out of the way while I ran wires through the shop ceiling.

Anyway, the 12V fans I ordered came and the connectors on them are smaller than the one on the 24V fan I bought previously. The connectors look the same as the pic below (from the listing I bought the fans from) but the one I had first is 5.81mm across and the new ones are 4.56mm.

I figure if I'm going to be playing with things like this I should probably learn the proper names of these connectors. I would appreciate if someone could give me a crash course on what these are called so I can order some of the different sizes.

Fan plug.jpg

Sidecar Bob

Dec 19, 2021
OK, that part was easy. Now, are there specific applications where they are used or are they just used for whatever needs a connector?

I also have an assortment of KF2510 connectors (female wired and male (header?) board mount, which are apparently 0.1 inch pin spacing (0.256mm). They seem to be more or less compatible with the JST 2.5mm but are they for specific uses or general purpose?

Is there anywhere I can learn about all of the many types of connector that are available these days?

Erstwhile

Apr 12, 2022
I'm not having much luck with what I planted in my gardens, some luck, not much.
I was hoping to not have to buy seedlings this year, but I may end up having to, if I want to have a decent harvest.

Sidecar Bob

Dec 19, 2021
I've found that I need to start peppers around Xmas and tomatoes in January if they are going to be big enough to plant by now. My tomatoes are in and I'll be planting the peppers as soon as it is dry enough and I don't have to spend the day cutting grass (maybe tomorrow).
Some of the stuff has to be planted directly, though. I put in a row of rutabaga seeds a few days ago (I think I see signs of life) and I need to get the carrot seeds in soon (they can take 3 weeks to germinate).
I had some success planting a square of corn last year so I want to grow more this year. I planted some outside but I also have some corn seeds in little pots of dirt on a warming mat right now as an experiment (I read that they can be transplanted outside at 1-2" tall).

The sun has started shining so I'd better go out and see if I can do anything in the garden today. Other than pulling weeds. Even with several inches of wood chips I'm spending more time weeding than seeding...