Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What component does this symbol represent?

Beogeo

Dec 16, 2015
circuitSymbol.PNG
I was thinking it might be an LED, but it is missing the light arrows. Besides, an LED wouldn't really make since in the circuit I'm looking at.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Could be a constant current source, though normally, it is an arrow in a circle without the leads being connected to the arrow.

Bob

Beogeo

Dec 16, 2015
LM386 Schematic.png
So, is the constant current provided by the voltage source in the top right?

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
So, is the constant current provided by the voltage source in the top right?

No,
the current source is a circuit by itself which is only feed by Vs.
In an IC it will be composed of transistors.
There are many ways to create a current source(google it).
These IC diagrams are merely conceptual, as you can see the other one is represented by the symbol alone.
Actually you have one shown "with details" in the specific IC,look at the red in the pic.

LM386 Schematic.png

EK61

Jan 5, 2014
I was going to say a diode, but then I saw the whole diagram. After seeing this I'm even more annoyed that they taught us at school that a diode symbol includes a circle just like that. (I knew better fortunately)

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I was going to say a diode, but then I saw the whole diagram. After seeing this I'm even more annoyed that they taught us at school that a diode symbol includes a circle just like that. (I knew better fortunately)
In the "old days" Diodes were commonly drawn within a circle but so were Transistors. It was most probably accepted that way because we were transitioning from Vacuum (Valves) Tubes.

Every now and then I come across some of my schematics drawn between the 60's & 70's. Diodes and Transistors are shown within a circle. Can't say that I miss doing that. ;)

Chris

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Just so there's no ambiguity I'm not referring to the symbol you posted as it does not indicate a Cathode terminal. I'm referring to this...

diode.png

Chris