Maker Pro
Maker Pro

what is the best universal programmer ? xeltek vs elnec

gabak

May 29, 2017
I am to start repairing electronics in general, I would like to have something reliable
what do you recommend?
xeltek says they use 144 pins and elnec or Dataman 48

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The number of pins is not a measure for reliability. The programmer needs to have at least as many pins as the biggest IC you are going to program.
The important parameter is the number of chips and algorithms supported by the programmer. The best programmer is useless if it doesn't support your chip.

By the way: what kind of chips are you going to program and where will you get the code to be programmed from?
Modern controllers often can be programmed with very little programming hardware using a built-in interface (e.g. JTAG). Sometimes you can even find the pads for attaching the required programmer on the PCB, But getting at the code is another story. It is customary to protect the intellectual property from reverse engineering by disabling the readout of code stored within a controller.

gabak

May 29, 2017
thank you for the answer . I got a pile for instance of bluray that they failed in the upgrade so they wont boot up.
I talked to Xeltek and ELNEC and they told me the best option is BEEPROG2 and it cost around 800$ not much. My budget was around $1500

here you have few questions I did

I think what you said BeeProg2 will be the best option for me right??yes - correct.
What happened if I find a chip that is not in the compatibility list?currently we support over 100.000 devices - see please some info here: https://www.elnec.com/en/elnec-device-counter/
We are daily adding new devices - approximately 5 - 7.000 per one year.
If there are devices unsupported by actual version of software, use please AlgOR form (www.elnec.com folder Support, item AlgOR service (Device request)).
They claim to have Built-in 144 Pin Driver Most universal IC programmers are designed with 48 pin driver or less. .......The idea to high number of pin-drivers is good, but in the reality - the situation require in many times adding of blocking capacitors at different positions of the device, so one universal programming adapter is not enough.