Maker Pro
Maker Pro

what is the different between speaker wire and power wire

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Quite right - no 'subjectiveness' o_O needed - it's a pure scientific, measurable quantity and no human could possibly tell the difference. Indeed it would take extremely sensitive and expensive test equipment to prove the difference by measurement.

But while there are gullible fools prepared to part with their cash for a generous massage of their ego's then there will always be those that will take advantage of them.

Hopup

Jul 5, 2015
The thing is there are many in my opinion very sensible people, who also notice this difference of sound quality between different cable types. It quite widely recognized phenomenon, if you got pretty good sound system whether its headphone or stereo type of system.

And I do agree that if there are no other causes for this than the resistance / speed of signal propagation then, no it is not possible to detect it by ears.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
It also happens with cars and with medicines. An expensive car is "better" than a cheaper car. The new expensive medicine a person is taking makes him feel better even when it is a fake sugar pill.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
In properly blindef A/ B comparison, the differences these people “hear” disappear.

Bob

Emilytronics

Nov 23, 2018
Nobody can - despite what they claim.

Although if I was selling the oxygen-free, silver-plated, zero-electron, warp-enabled fusion speaker wire at £1,000/foot and people were buying it....... I could change my mind :D
Apparently there's some magic speaker wire cream that will do the same job. There are some real 'gems' on this thread on another forum I post on: https://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/do-you-consider-yourself-an-audiophile.247521/

Including this rather brilliant and not at all audiophile cable connection bodge:

h89JgMj.jpg

I probably shouldn't laugh too hard, this is actually a work around for those new-style cheap cables that contain more strengthening fibres than metal. A friend of mine didn't believe me when I told him that despite his PhD in electronics engineering, there was no way he was skilled enough to replace the 3.5mm audio jack on his cheap headphones. :D

NB: I did actually notice an improverment in audio quality when using mains wire - It meant I had enough cable to place my floor-standing JBLs in the exact best listening position, all without needing to leave the house or order longer speaker wires online. ;)