Maker Pro
Maker Pro

what kind of job am i qualified?

r4w_tsuk

May 31, 2012
i am currently a graduating student this 2013 with a degree of BS in Electronics and communications engineering here in the philippines. after graduation we will be immediately migrating to the USA. I was wondering will i be able to have a stable job there with my degree without the license and all and what job should i look for.. thanks in advance..

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Employment opportunities vary DRASTICALLY from location to location in the US, if you move to an area where there is lots of employment in the electronics field you might do well... If you move to small town USA where there is a single chicken processing plant that employs 75% of the town, you will likely struggle... The cost of living also is all over the place, and it doesn't take much distance to alter that value drastically...

You will also be competing with 1000s of others just like you, with the same or more education... As for a stable job it's really a role of the dice in most cases now...

r4w_tsuk

May 31, 2012
thank you very much sir for your inputs... i am currently confused slightly disappointed right now planning for my future.. more power!

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
The unemployment in the USA in the technical field is worse now than at any time in my life. Many people are graduating from very prestigious universities with PHDs in science and are unable to find meaningful work. If you are older almost nobody wants you to work for them. There are good jobs in the oil industry in some states like North Decoda. There are some good nursing jobs left. But in some companies like refineries for every job offering there are 1000 job applications. In the universities for every job offering they may get over 100 applications all with PHDs and many years of experience.

Have you checked out Australia?

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I think the biggest shock might come when you realize that your Bachelor's Degree, carries very little weight in today's US job market, hardly anymore than a High School diploma did 10 or 20 years ago... There are a TON, of highly educated college graduates out there right now looking for work, at one time a BS Degree made you stand out, now it just brings you level to the other 500 applicants for that job... To be blunt the only time a BS Degree is really going to work in your favor and make you stand out in the US right now is for unskilled labor jobs like retail, fast food, or factory work where the degree will make you stand out (but not over qualify) you to apply for management level positions...

And another fact of life you will soon discover is that actual experience will generally win you a job over your education... My girlfriend is a perfect example of that with no college degree but lots of hands on is now working in a job that was posted as requiring a minimum 6 year college degree...

I'm not saying you are not going to make and, you might very well, just don't expect it to come easy unless you really luck out...

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
I think the biggest shock might come when you realize that your Bachelor's Degree, carries very little weight in today's US job market, hardly anymore than a High School diploma did 10 or 20 years ago... There are a TON, of highly educated college graduates out there right now looking for work, at one time a BS Degree made you stand out, now it just brings you level to the other 500 applicants for that job... To be blunt the only time a BS Degree is really going to work in your favor and make you stand out in the US right now is for unskilled labor jobs like retail, fast food, or factory work where the degree will make you stand out (but not over qualify) you to apply for management level positions...

And another fact of life you will soon discover is that actual experience will generally win you a job over your education... My girlfriend is a perfect example of that with no college degree but lots of hands on is now working in a job that was posted as requiring a minimum 6 year college degree...

I'm not saying you are not going to make and, you might very well, just don't expect it to come easy unless you really luck out...

Im kind of in that situation now, I have a BS of science in Electronics Engineering Technology, and the job market even out near Boston (supposedly a good place for jobs like that) is pretty slow, they all want lots of experience or a masters, or dual degrees

But you will eventually find somewhere to work

dssteven

May 9, 2012
Shoot, if you can't find a major specific job... there is always coolworks.com if you like the outdoors! ;) I graduate in a year and a half with a B.S. from Michigan Tech in Electrical Engineering Technology. Surprisingly I got an internship in Michigan, which has an 8.6% UE rate... The job market is slow, these guys are right on that BUT you can always find something...

foTONICS

Sep 30, 2011
im entering my 3rd year of electronics engineering in canada. should i be worried after i graduate in a year?

I do have work experience in my field. i currently work for my school dealing with microchips, lab equipment, and repairs.

I've had a job as a panel builder for mining/water treatment plants

and ive worked for a major electricity supplier (toronto hydro).

would people be looking at my work history over my soon to be degree?

bountyhunter

Mar 9, 2012
In Silicon Valley, new graduates from outside the country coming here on B1 visas are preferred in the "starting" positions because they will underpay you by about 50% compared to US citizens. It's because it is very difficult to change jobs, the employer has to fill out a lot of paperwork for non citizens. Employers take advantage of that.

Welcome to America.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
would people be looking at my work history over my soon to be degree?

IMO yes, because you and 100 other applicants will have equal degrees, negating it's one time advantage... The degree no longer sets you apart from the rest of the crowd... The one thing that can set you apart is your work experience...

r4w_tsuk

May 31, 2012
glad to hear different kinds of story from all of you sir.. at least my knowledge is being broaden about the reality i should face soon.. thank you.. all i just wanna do know is to trust GOD.. he knows whats best for me.. anymore inputs are very welcome.. more power to you guys..