Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What kind of plug is this?

the_phew

Jun 11, 2012
plug.jpg

Found on the back of a vintage (circa 1975) anemometer power supply from TSI, model 1051-6. I bought the item "as-is" off ebay, and it didn't include a power cord. If possible, I would like to buy the compatible power cord, but I don't even know what to look for.

Is this some proprietary plug, or was this standard on electronics during the 1970s?

Thanks in advance

the_phew

Jun 11, 2012
That is the exact unit I purchased off Ebay. The rated output isn't printed on the power supply, but the fuse is 3A 250V. I can only assume that the power supply expects 120V/60Hz.

I was hoping someone knew the name of this plug type, and I could just buy the corresponding receptacle, wire it to a standard wall plug and be done. If it's a proprietary connector, then I would have to open up the power supply and replace the connector as you described, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
That is the exact unit I purchased off Ebay. The rated output isn't printed on the power supply, but the fuse is 3A 250V.

Fuse is irrelevant in the end...

Do you have the power supply? And if so, how does this plug play into the hookup, is it on the power supply or the unit itself? If it's on the power supply is it the input or output of the power supply?

If you have the power supply can you measure the voltage? The fuse is a good indicator that the maximum current is 3 amps (assuming it's the correct fuse) but we have no idea on the voltage rating...

I personally would just swap it out for a current plug configuration but before I offer recommendations I would like more input...

And last but not least, it might be time to crack the housing open, some nice designer might have included the power ratings inside, heck you might get real lucky and find a schematic glued to the inside of the housing...

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I was hoping someone knew the name of this plug type, and I could just buy the corresponding receptacle, wire it to a standard wall plug and be done.

Lots of guess work there... You need to do a little more research... And to be blunt swapping out the plug to a current model will likely be cost effective it the end...

If it's a 110-120VAC mains plug, you can just go with the ones that they are using everywhere now, heck you probably have a few of the cords laying around from old computers and or monitors...

Example only...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3P-AC-250V-...645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231e1a650d

the_phew

Jun 11, 2012
Do you have the power supply? .

The power supply is the module on the left of the picture in the Ebay listing, with the big analog voltmeter on it. The plug is on the back of the power supply, so the power supply can get 120V from the wall. The power supply output is variable, 0-30VDC, which is connected internally to the other modules on the device.

I just want to plug this thing into the wall, and I'm trying to find out if I can buy an off-the-shelf receptacle from Digikey or somewhere to do that. I'd rather not modify the unit from its original state unless I have to.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I just want to plug this thing into the wall, and I'm trying to find out if I can buy an off-the-shelf receptacle from Digikey or somewhere to do that. I'd rather not modify the unit from its original state unless I have to.

Well in your haste and reluctance to listen I hope you don't wreck it... Do you know the polarity of the plug, this is why I recommended opening it up... Are you sure it's rated for 120 volts input?

Last edited:

Alchymist

Apr 16, 2011
Looks like the Power cord Hewlett Packard used on a lot of their older equipment.

the_phew

Jun 11, 2012
Just to follow up, I purchased the cord in KJ6EAD's original post, and it works perfectly. Thanks again!

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Yeah, that's a standard 120VAC plug that was very popular during the time-frame
mentioned. A lot of my gear uses that power input connection.