Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What optical mouse product works on a smooth surface?

abdan

Jan 25, 2022
What is the latest known tech on optical mouse, in production and market, works on a smooth granite tile surface?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
a smooth granite tile surface
Provided the smooth surface has a sufficiently fine pattern on it most optical mice should work. Such mice don't like plain surfaces though.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Also, it helps if the surface isn't especially shiny.

I prefer a mouse pad, easier on the hands and wrists.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I currently use a logitech (Logi) M185 wireless optical mouse. It performs well on most smooth surfaces, except mirrors, as long as there is a textured pattern embedded in the surface. We have highly polished granite surfaces in the kitchen and in our bathrooms, but I cannot imagine wanting to use my mouse in any of those environments. Your mileage (or kilometers) may of course be different. I suggest you take a small sample of your "smooth granite tile surface" with you to a local Staples, Best Buy, or whatever brick-and-mortar store you use to purchase personal computer items, and try before buying your next mouse.

I believe most, if not all, optical mice use a small solid-state camera to image a small area under the mouse. Software performs an algorithmic computation on successive images to determine the direction and distance of mouse movement. That was some state-of-the-art shit in the previous century, but pretty common today. Of course you could try to find a mouse with a little rubber-covered steel ball, spring-mounted against two perpendicular shafts attached to two rotary optical encoders. Those worked well on just about any surface, but they did have a tendency to accumulate lint and needed periodic cleaning to restore operation. I ditched mine in the last century when an optical mouse that I could afford became available. Started with the Logitech brand and never found any reason to try another.