Maker Pro
Maker Pro

what relays are good enough for 15amp and 5v activate to build my own breaker box style

comet424

Feb 22, 2021
hi i building my own breaker box style with 6 switchs that handle 15-20 amp from my panel

id like to use instead of the switchs but relays. and run off raspberry pi running Home Assistant
as i in middle of making automated Generator start up and then will flip 6 of my home circuits

but i was also told for a water pump you need a relay that has high FLA and something other thing for the contacts... which is good good enough for like 20 amp i was gonna use servos to rub the toggle switchs but not enoguh room switchs too close..

but what relays are high enough that can handle like a regular 15-20amp switch
and i guess i need a diode too? over the contacts

like this i looking for
YYG-4 Four Way Relay Module, 30A Control Panel Optocoupler Isolation High Power AC 250V/30A, Less Than DC 30V/30A(5VDC): Amazon.ca: Electronics

but is this safe enough

Minder

Apr 24, 2015

Appears to be a bit of a partially chunky SSR ?:)

Incidentally, if using the type of relays used in the link, it usually pays to remove the sealing 'Pip', shown on this one in the bottom LH side of the relay.
It is used usually for sealing the relay during flux wash down.
If left sealed, for arcing loads, it can cause ionization of the interior, shortening the life of the relay.
M.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Appears to be a bit of a partially chunky SSR ?:)

Incidentally, if using the type of relays used in the link, it usually pays to remove the sealing 'Pip', shown on this one in the bottom LH side of the relay.

Chunky yes, but I wouldn't call it a SSR because of the electro-mechanical relay.
It uses an op amp to allow 5v to drive the 24v coil via an optocoupler.

RIB stands for relay in box. They are designed and NRTL listed to retrofit low voltage inputs into existing electrical systems. I thought it might be good fit for his panel.

What is a Pib? .... Is it like a snubber?
I didn't see anything in the LH side of pic.

I don't know the water pump specs, but this relay should have no problem switching it providing it stays under the contact ratings.

comet424

Feb 22, 2021
ah ok so basiclly its the same one off amazon

well i had on the Home assistant website complain that you need to use a "Contactor" so one of these
Packard C230B 2 Pole 30 Amp Contactor, 120 Voltage Coil: Amazon.ca: Industrial & Scientific
you have to know the FLA and LRA so he said you cant use stuff like that but the company that put that together said no problems for using 1hp i had 3/4
but i plan to make a circut breaker for my generator so when the generator starts up it will automaticlly flip the relays on so should handle 15-20amps but i dunno the LRas as i wanted same as a switch and i dunno what a switchs LRA is and then i get told well you need to talk in electronics hobbies

as i have the same question for powering mulitple raspberry pi and arduino and i looked at LED strip ones but people on amazon complain they not that good burn out after 3 months so i wanted to look for a good quaility one ill probably post new topic asking that

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Having re read the original post, I advise you consult someone qualified to accomplish what your proposing.
Basing your electrical plans on what you heard on some website is quite dangerous.

Generators require a transfer switch when tied to your household as a standby system. There are many rules and considerations in order to do it properly and safely.

This needs to be compliant with local codes.

No disrespect, but based on what you just posted, It's quite clear to your understanding is lacking.

WHAT YOU DONT KNOW CAN KILL SOMEONE.

Sometimes its best to just have it done correctly.

comet424

Feb 22, 2021
ah ok
well the 6 Toggle switchs in my transfer station are just plain 3 postion toggles handling 15 amps

so reason the relay
so you have your normally on normally off
there is no difference between a relay and a toggle switch
but he didnt give any info on Relays only contactors for FLA
and then i was told to come here to this website as its an electronics website

since electricians around my area dont work with 5v relays
so this is the website i came to to ask for people using it

as i built transfer statiitions for myself in the past but now i wanna use Relays acting like a 15amp toggle switch

i just want to know if these are a FLA high enough as the manufacture doesnt give info just says it good enough for a 1HP motor
but its ok i appreciate all the info