Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What type of Fastening is this?

touring_style

Jul 14, 2011
Hi,

This isn't stricktly an electronics question, but does anyone know what this type of fastening this is?

It's on a child's 6V ride on electric car.

It's pressed over the end of the axel (a length of steel rod) and holds the wheel on.

It's made of steel.

It can be prised off with a screw driver, but it doesn't do it much good. I need to replace them, but don't know what they're called!

Thanks in advance for any help.

[IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/al...anufacturers/Other/Ride On/IMG_0446.jpg[/IMG]

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
I don't know what they're called either, but if they needed replacing I'd find some steel tube about the right size, cut it to length (a few mm) and take the tricycle and tubing to a welding shop. On the way I'd buy sfogliatelle, which is good for bribing welders (or just about anybody).

PS
Maybe that is a plastic wheel I see in the picture.
In that case, put the confectionary to one side, and glue the little bits of tube onto the axle using silicone glue.
Now send me the sfogliatelle.
Thank you.

Last edited:

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
They're called push nuts, push retainers, or cap nuts, depending on their configuration. If you're careful, they can be removed and reused (because I've done it), but usually you either deform them or break off a tooth or two (they're hardened to a spring temper). Any hardware store will have a selection of sizes and they're pretty cheap.