Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What would be needed to connect an OBDII to a PC to read the data from the ECM?

chris.owen09

Nov 8, 2018
I am having issues with a p0300 (random misfire) My scan tool can not capture the failure since it does not read fast enough. So I figure if I can connect the ECM to a computer then I can capture all live data to find that random condition.
I have a 2004 chevy pickup btw.
I was thinking this would be a neat gear head project...
I have a OBDII to DB9 cable but OBD is not the same language as USB or RS232 or Ethernet so I know there has to be something between and a "software" to decode and log that dataflow.
Thanks.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
ODBII readers are 'ten-a-penny' these days and software to run them is available for mobile phones to make a portable system. For a few dollars more (movie reference) you can get them with built-in decoders/readers/displays to make it truly portable.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Random misfire is not the sort of thing where you're likely to need a faster scan tool. It's probably something like low fuel pressure, a vac leak, or faulty sensors such as temperature or airflow. Granted if your scan tool cannot read these things, what Bluejets linked is a type that will.

chris.owen09

Nov 8, 2018
Random misfire is not the sort of thing where you're likely to need a faster scan tool. It's probably something like low fuel pressure, a vac leak, or faulty sensors such as temperature or airflow. Granted if your scan tool cannot read these things, what Bluejets linked is a type that will.

I am having a Fuel level issue on a full tank the gauge reads empty....
I am also having a shift sensor issue until I clear the code then it runs fine.????

chris.owen09

Nov 8, 2018
ODBII readers are 'ten-a-penny' these days and software to run them is available for mobile phones to make a portable system. For a few dollars more (movie reference) you can get them with built-in decoders/readers/displays to make it truly portable.

A really nice one was linked
Problem I am not in Australia and the say they do not ship to the US
i have windows above 7 not really a huge issue but i do like that tool that was linked.???
another person speculated fuel pressure... my fuel level is always empty on a full tank and i am getting a shift sensor error but when I clear the codes it fixes the shifting issue????