Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What would cause lcd monitor to blink?

Scout

Jun 9, 2012
Monitor is a gateway lp2417

screen is blinking continuously on one sec off one sec....

It's definitely a monitor problem. Did it when I bought it to repair it does it on every cpu or unconnected.

indicator light doesn't blink and if Im adjusting settings(through the blink) settings gump doesn't disappear so it maintains power at least to a point.

Anyway, I took the boards out and at least with just visual inspection, there aren't any obviously bad capacitors.

Any Ideas what components might cause it to blink like this?

Could a capacitor cause this? Id really hate to pull out and test 40 capacitors to find its not the problem. Are there some other components I could rule out first?

And Which board should I suspect? Power,Inverter,control or Im not sure what the other one is it's a small board which a 2" ribbon cable disappears into the monitor. It only contains micro components.
Thanks in advance

Scout

Jun 9, 2012
Thanks for reply Harold,

Heres a video of what its doing incase it might help narrow the problem down any.

http://s1053.photobucket.com/albums/s478/lemme316/?action=view&current=104_3309.mp4

If it's a capacitor, I think it would prob have to be after a certain point because it's not like it's powering on and off , the on/off button doesnt blink and the menu gump stays on the screen the normal amount of time.As I said above the capacitors show no visual sign of being bad although I know that doesn't always matter.
Anyway Im gonna order the capacitors since the kit is only $12 but it only has the capacitors for the powerboard, not any for the control board.
I'd hate to replace more than I have to just because of the risk of bridging or something.Should I start with the 2 capacitors on the converter board and work my way back

I should have taken some pics before I through it back together but for reference, on the pic of the board in the link Harold provided above this post, the converter connection is on bottom left and
the the controller connection is on top left

And for argument sake, If I were to replace the capacitors and it's still as it is, what would your next guess be?

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
With some properly synced shutter glassed you could simulate it being fully on :)

Looks like the backlight inverter or backlight bulb is having issues... Probably the inverter if I was to take a guess... Take a flashlight and aim it at a section of the screen from an offset angle, if the image is still visible between pulses aka when the screen appears black, I would place my money on the inverter/bulb for sure... If it's going totally blank you have bigger issues... Do this test with an animated image so you can sorta see the imagine moving and not simply see a static ghost image of when it was on...

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
Looking at your video concerning this unit. Your inverter is turning on, but is shutting down because your top lamp isn't coming on.

I would hook a meter to the inverter output (use clip leads), before you power up. No need to hold the probes, let them just sit there. If you have power coming out of the transformer, it will be your lamp.

You can tell by your video the top lamp is not turning on.