Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Whats this Weird Circuit Symbol?

grom

Dec 5, 2010
Hi,
Does anyone know what kind of MOSFET this is? (if it is one... It is some kind of transistor thats for sure.) Its No. is mentioned as RN 4004A ... it seems to be obsolete now and I cant find it anywhere on the internet for replacement. Please help!

Attachments

• symbol.jpg
    symbol.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 250

grom

Dec 5, 2010
Thanks pwdixon,That really helped :).
I was wondering If there is a way to find a replacement/newer version of this IC. Can anyone shed light on this?

pwdixon

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks pwdixon,That really helped :).
I was wondering If there is a way to find a replacement/newer version of this IC. Can anyone shed light on this?

Without a datasheet that's a real problem. Though if you had a schematic it might be possible to work out what the part does and work out a replacement that way.

Electrobrains

Jan 2, 2012
Just seeing the symbol, I think we could guess some things:

1. The symbol resembles a Symmetrical JFET (in contrast to an Asymmetrical one). Probably the polarity between Source and Drain doesn't matter. The arrows might just be a way to highlight this feature.
2. The component has the Source marked out. It probably shows the pole where the control voltage of the Gate is referenced.
3. The full line between Drain and Source could indicate a Depletion type FET, which means it would lead current when Vgs=0V
4. The Gate line shows a type of MOSFET with isolated Gate: very high input impedance and Voltage Controlling.

grom

Dec 5, 2010
Thanks for the input Electrobrains & pwdixon, please take a look at the circuit where it belongs.
I'm attaching the circuit diagram with the component ..
the first is the main part with RN4004. the second one is where the inputs(or outputs?) [A & B] are connected, the third is a diagram of the functioning of the main circuit. Apparently its called a Synchronous detector.

grom

Dec 5, 2010
the ckts

Attachments

• DSC_0075.jpg
    DSC_0075.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC_0078.jpg
    DSC_0078.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 190

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
These look like a bidirectional insulated gate fet. They operate as switches, one on, the other off in sychronism with the switching input signal.
I could not find data.
A 4066 would probably do the same job and maybe replace Q1012 and Q1013 as well.

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Hi
Yes, I too think that the circuit symbol represents something that could be replaced by a bilateral switch.
But how fast does it have to switch? Maybe the IGFETs outperform the 4066, so what is the frequency of the signal being synchronously detected?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I think it's possibly a mosfet. It probably originates from prior to the current standard symbology having been decided on.

But that's just a guess from looking at the circuit diagram.

pwdixon

Oct 14, 2012
I worked on something similar to this in the 80's that was a system that extracted a very low signal from a very noisy input.

The signal was modulated with the signal input level extracted using a phase sensitive
detector with the reference signal switching two mosfets.

In my case the mosfets were switching the signal to ground, in the case of your circuit the mosfets switch the signal directly.

This means that your device have to be capable of switching a bidirectional signal and probably must not have a drain source diode included, that reduces your choice of parts quite significantly as a great many potential candidates for replacement will include one of these diodes.

grom

Dec 5, 2010
the frequency of the signals is low... max of 160Hz. But the magnitude voltages involved can be anything upto 90V (+/-).

grom

Dec 5, 2010
I went through what a Synchronous detector is and understand the following:

From diag. 3, Its evident that the weird transistors act as analog switches, able to conduct +/- halves of sine waves with negligible zero crossing error which then add up to give different signals based on phase diff.

The use is to ultimately extract signal proportional to phase difference between two low amplitude signals(less than noise amplitude a times) and subsequently amplify it to a DC value with an LP filter.

The inputs are input 1&2 which will be low amplitude AC. the switch is operated by voltages <24 V(possibly <20V) (diag. 2) from the other two transistors.

This link gave me those surmises:
http://measure.feld.cvut.cz/system/files/files/cs/vyuka/predmety/A3M38MSZ/SynchrDetectBW.pdf

Please advise on whether my understanding is right and suggest alternative transistors that might do the same job.

4066 might be a good choice but i am worried about the maximum Gate voltage that can be applied.

grom

Dec 5, 2010
Pwdixon,
this circuit performs the same/similar function as you mentioned

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Perhaps a switching mosfet with a series diode might do the trick.

grom

Dec 5, 2010
but the diode will require a potential overcome right? and it will allow only unidirectional current. I require barrier free +/- analog conduction when switch is on. Just like a manual wall switch.