Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What's up with my ground plane?

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
So here's my first board design:

https://jlcpcb.com/quote/gerberview/aa2ca0f4-898b-44e2-bb7c-5b7aad202830_2_53_1_0_0.html

If you look in the upper right corner, the ground plane is striated. Then if you look towards the center that ground plane is solid. I have no clue what is going on. I'm using EagleCAD. I've attached my board and schematic file.

I've also noticed there are random holes. I've fixed those, I had a superfluous drill file.

Attachments

• BraedenHamsonSwitchBox.zip
    136.6 KB · Views: 6

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
Darn.
I've stepped away from my computer, I'll post a picture if I don't clear it up in the mean time. But my ground plane doesn't look solid. It's a number of horizontal lines. I think I'll up the trace width with which (say that 5 times) I made the polygon. I doubt they're connected but, worth a try.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
But my ground plane doesn't look solid. It's a number of horizontal lines. I think I'll up the trace width with which (say that 5 times) I made the polygon. I doubt they're connected but, worth a try

get a pic as soon as you can .... really difficult to tell what you setup is like otherwise :)

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Looks fine here:

upload_2018-11-21_7-34-0.png

[mod edit improved image viewability ]

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
But my ground plane doesn't look solid. It's a number of horizontal lines.

as Harald said, it looks good

Only problem .... WHY on earth didn't you connect the 2 large ground plane areas ????

upload_2018-11-21_7-42-13.png

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
Yes please pick apart my PCB, no jokes I really appreciate it.
I didn't connect the grounds, because they're on different supplies. I'll be using a wallwart (wallwort?) power supply to run the 555 PWM circuit for lighting. I'm gonna get a PS from a thrift store, so its quality will be unknown. I figured just leaving the two seperate would be best.

HOWEVER, upon writing I realize this they are not separate. The transistor is switched by the arduino, therefore I should connect them. I'll just smother the area in ground plane.

I also realize you can't pick apart my PCB if you don't know what it does. Its a USB switch box controller. It uses 4 shift registers to pass switch states into the arduino. In there software (which I did not write, called MMJOY) takes it and it talks to my computer. And then there's a bog standard 555 PWM circuit. So this circuit does 5V and 12V digital signals. Not sure what the frequency is. I based my design on this one
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...Shift Register 74HC165_Board _GOOD_Layout.png

Last edited:

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
Two more questions:

I know right angle corners on traces is bad, but what about right angle into a via?

I made this design just by looking at other PCBs and google. Anyone know any good resources on PCB design?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Okay here's what JLC is showing me
What is JLC? The lines may be an artifact from the way the layout is displayed. You'll get the best impressin of the 'real' layout if you inspect the gerber output (which is the input to the PCB manufacturing process) using e.g. gerbview.

I figured just leaving the two seperate would be best.
Depends on your circuit. Show us the full design (upload image or pdf, not everybody can read eagle files). If your circuit is not designed for potential isolation, you'll run into trouble by not connecting grounds.

I know right angle corners on traces is bad, but what about right angle into a via?
That statement is true for high frequencies and/or very thin traces only. On a 'slow' board and with traces at least 200 mil thick right angles are not really a worry.

Anyone know any good resources on PCB design?
Read e.g. here and follow the link to the design guidelines. There's a reason pcb layout is also called ARTwork (emphasis on art). You'll learn as you go along.

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
What is JLC? The lines may be an artifact from the way the layout is displayed. You'll get the best impressin of the 'real' layout if you inspect the gerber output (which is the input to the PCB manufacturing process) using e.g. gerbview.

Depends on your circuit. Show us the full design (upload image or pdf, not everybody can read eagle files). If your circuit is not designed for potential isolation, you'll run into trouble by not connecting grounds.

That statement is true for high frequencies and/or very thin traces only. On a 'slow' board and with traces at least 200 mil thick right angles are not really a worry.

Read e.g. here and follow the link to the design guidelines. There's a reason pcb layout is also called ARTwork (emphasis on art). You'll learn as you go along.
JLC PCB its a low cost PCB manufacturing house. You can get PCBs of good quality for $10

Thank you for answering my questions. Haha PCBs are art eh? I think I'm in my "abstract phase"