Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Where can we get Peltier tiles?

NuLED

Jan 7, 2012

(I didn't know DIAMONDS were the best heat sink.)

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
They are sold all over the place. Diamond is a good conductor of heat, better than the best metals. Next is silver, then copper, and so on. However, forming it into a good heat sink would be ridiculously difficult, so I don't think it has ever been seriously used except for maybe in experimentation.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
However, forming it into a good heat sink would be ridiculously difficult, so I don't think it has ever been seriously used except for maybe in experimentation.

See here.

Google "diamond heatsink" for more information.

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
See here.

Google "diamond heatsink" for more information.

Thanks for the link. That is interesting, but as you see by their heat sink photos they are only thin flat plates. I wonder if they can mold them so they'd be more useful (i.e. more surface area).

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The idea is that they transfer the heat very efficiently to a larger cheaper heatsink.

NuLED

Jan 7, 2012
Thanks guys but I was looking for the Peltier tiles actually, not diamonds. Haha.

Typing "Peltier" in Mouser gave me things for controlling them, not the tiles themselves.

By the way, look at this video. It's quite nicely designed but out of my current budget. I would like to DIY something like this out of interest:

I assume there is a thermocouple effect between the temp difference of the flame, and the water.

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
Thanks guys but I was looking for the Peltier tiles actually, not diamonds. Haha.

Typing "Peltier" in Mouser gave me things for controlling them, not the tiles themselves.

By the way, look at this video. It's quite nicely designed but out of my current budget. I would like to DIY something like this out of interest:

I assume there is a thermocouple effect between the temp difference of the flame, and the water.

Try amazon, eBay, adafruit, or anywhere that sells computer cooling parts. They're everywhere. I'm surprised you had a hard time finding them.

http://www.mouser.com/Thermal-Management/Thermoelectric/_/N-axhkc?Keyword=TEC&FS=True

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html/?_nkw=Peltier&redirect=mobile

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_box_?k=Peltier

http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=adasearch&q=Peltier

Last edited:

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
if you need peltier ebay has thousands too,
they are just heatpumps as stated, and I have found some great uses.
if you want to know their cost click on the myriad of links that have been supplied or goto ebay and type in peltier. not that bad a price and they can be used for a lot of things including the production of power.

NuLED

Jan 7, 2012
ok thanks! didn't realize I should type "Thermoelectric Modules"

NuLED

Jan 7, 2012
Oh, so they are being used by PROVIDING a current across them in order to COOL stuff, as a non-moving part? (as opposed to generation).

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
ok thanks! didn't realize I should type "Thermoelectric Modules"

Actually I typed Peltier everywhere except Mouser. They use the fancy name: Thermo Electric Cooler. TEC for short. They are used for all sorts of things; cooling, power generation, etc. They are sometimes used in those USB chillers even.

chuck4301

Jul 24, 2013

(I didn't know DIAMONDS were the best heat sink.)

sorry for this noob question, but after watching this video, I searched for peltier tiles on ebay and its shape is square while the ones used by the girl is somewhat circular. Is it the same peltier tile?

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
this is farr from a noob question. the most common form of peltiers are used for cooling computer chips which are generically a square shape.
finding a very specific peltier mean googling the right thing. so if you want a curved one type in "curved peltier" if a circle shape type in circular peltier etc.
finding them at a good price however is still up to the searching

chuck4301

Jul 24, 2013
just out of curiosity, what do you mean by saying "this is far from a noob question", pardon me for not understanding English very well. After rewatching the video, I finally noticed that she indeed used a square shape peltier. And after searching, there is no circular shape peltier available for now.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
what do you mean by saying "this is far from a noob question"

You claimed it was a "'noob' question". He is saying that your question was a better one than you realised. :)

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
chuck4301 noob means newbie or new to this topic