Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Which DC Brushed Motor Should I use for this project?

thechromepoet

Oct 22, 2022
Hi, I am trying to build a washing machine that can turn clothes in a large 55-gallon bucket with an RPM speed of 60rpm. I need this motor to be not too heavy, I was thinking of using gears to increase its power. Does anyone know what motor I should use for such a project? and where I can find it? if you are able to provide a link that would be great, Thank you!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
You won't increase the power, that is determined by the output of the motor itself.
Why brushed DC motor ........???...( old car or truck starter motor from before 90"s)
What you can increase is the torque by using a gearbox.
Many washing machine in days gone by used a worm drive for motor input initially and then a further gear reduction for the oscillating or agitator action.
Still a few of these around such as Malleys, Maytag all the same same.
Rounding up one of those might be your best approach.
That is ,of course, unless you want the maidens delight Frigidare action which operated the agitator as the original drum washers from the 1900 used to do.
Either way, starting out by requesting it be "not too heavy" is not the way to go as you will more than likely, never find one.
Besides, it's like asking for a nail or a piece of string.

thechromepoet

Oct 22, 2022
Hi Bluejets, you can disregard the brushed motor part and the weight, I'm a bit new to this. I'm looking for any motor that will work. This is also a high-volume product I was trying to make, and I Live in the US. The only problem is I have no idea of the torque and voltage range I should be looking for. Do I need to buy the bucket and fill it up with clothes and water and run some kind of test, or do you have any kind of ballpark number for torque or voltage? Thank you.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Yes you need to do an actual torque reading for starters, as a simple way, use a spring scale and a known pulley diameter to measure the initial torque required.
What have you against a brushed motor?
As I mentioned in another forum, you have a 500lb plus load.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Voltage requirement is whatever you have at hand, mains would be perferred.
However, if this is something you intend to market, it would need certification which can cost squillions.
Torque requirements coverd by Minder but you need to be more specific as to the mechanical layout and the actual operation of the device.
To add to MInders note, time is an important factor as well as this determines the HP requirement.
People here are not going to design anything for you.
Then again maybe if you have deep pockets.

You are aware there are many washing machines already on the market....??

thechromepoet

Oct 22, 2022
Hi Minder, a torque test with actual clothes would be a good idea, I'm going to buy a spring scale now. thank you. To be honest, I'm new to electronics and I don't know if I should use a brushed motor or a brushless motor.

thechromepoet

Oct 22, 2022
Yes you need to do an actual torque reading for starters, as a simple way, use a spring scale and a known pulley diameter to measure the initial torque required.
What have you against a brushed motor?
As I mentioned in another forum, you have a 500lb plus load.
Hi Minder, a torque test with actual clothes would be a good idea, I'm going to buy a spring scale now. thank you. To be honest, I'm new to electronics and I don't know if I should use a brushed motor or a brushless motor.

thechromepoet

Oct 22, 2022
Voltage requirement is whatever you have at hand, mains would be perferred.
However, if this is something you intend to market, it would need certification which can cost squillions.
Torque requirements coverd by Minder but you need to be more specific as to the mechanical layout and the actual operation of the device.
To add to MInders note, time is an important factor as well as this determines the HP requirement.
People here are not going to design anything for you.
Then again maybe if you have deep pockets.

You are aware there are many washing machines already on the market....??
Hi Bluejets. I honestly didn't think about certification. I always see these viral videos on Pinterest of Chinese products and I assumed none of them had any kind of certification coming out of china. I just assumed I could sell it on Pinterest and Ebay and would be okay as long as no one get's injured from it. The design of my product is a washing machine head that is collapsable and portable and can be attached to any bucket down to 1quart and up to 33-gallon buckets. It will slowly turn water in one direction and abruptly stop and turn in the opposite direction. It can be extended and retracted to lock onto the sides of buckets. The overall size would be 9"x9"x3" fully collapsed. It will use a metal pole that extends into the water from the top but at an offset so this poll that turns the clothes is close to the edge of the bucket.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I assumed none of them had any kind of certification coming out of china.
They will need it as soon as they hit any foreign shore I can assure you.
would be okay as long as no one get's injured from it.
Yes, well that is NOT the way it is looked upon.
Requirement is it must meet certain standards BEFOREHAND.
Being some kind of mechanical/electric machine, there may well be certain safety standards to adhere to for the mechanical aspect as well as the electrical.
A few squillion more greenback.

John Canon

Jun 1, 2022
You have to start somewhere ... build a full size prototype that you can swap different motors until you find one you like.
NiceTry.jpg

Last edited:

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
A brushless motor will require a controller.

I have two suggestions on motors.

Treadmill motors are strong. 0 to 90 volts DC. Can be used with or without the controller.

E-bikes or E-scooters also have good strong motors for their size.

Most of these can be found on Craigslist for testing and prototyping, then you can move onto mass ordering/production.