Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Which voltage transformer for a laser printer

Juan

Apr 26, 2014
Hi, could you help me...?

A friend gave me a new (never used) brother laser printer. I'm read it is a good printer for home, but work with 110/120 Volts and the U.K electrical line provides 230/240 volts
I need to decide if I should buy a new printer or if the printer can work well with a transformer;
If the printer works without problems with a transformer,
I need help for search the right transformer online (the cheapest is better for me, but I'll look later):
1_Transformer values which are compatible and safe for this printer.
2_How to I can search for a silent transformer. I need a quiet transformer.
I've been looking online, but I stopped the search because I lack knowledge.

information about the printer:
Printer Model: Brother HL-2280DW
Prynter Type: Laser Monochrome
Scanner: Color/Mono
Printer Method: Electrophotography by semiconductor laser beam scanninng
Power Source: 110 - 120 V AC 50/60 Hz
Power Consumption:
Amperes: 8.9 A
Peak: 1080 Watts (USB connected to PC)
Copying: 445 Watts (When making a copy from one sheet)
Ready: 55 Watts
Wireless: WLAN ON: 2.8 Watts (Sleep) / WLAN OFF: 1.0 Watts (Deep Sleep)
All figures staded above (except Peak) are average figures

Excuse my English
Thank you in advance

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
That looks like quite a nice laser printer.

It draws quite a lot of power. You would need a step-down transformer rated for at least 1 kVA, to be safe, I think.

We had a similar thread here recently: https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/voltage-converter-120v-to-220v.268341/

I suggested that the power supply might be jumper-settable for 115V / 230V. In his case, it wasn't, but it's possible that yours is.

If you're prepared to open it up and take some photos of the power supply (it's probably directly attached to the mains input socket) we may be able to tell you whether it's switchable.

Juan

Apr 26, 2014
Thanks for the quick response, I had not thought that the power supply could have a switch 120/230. I will try to find the service manual for the printer and I'll see if I can dissasemble it.
Again, many thanks

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
It's POSSIBLE. As I said in the other thread, don't get your hopes up. But it's worth a look.

Juan

Apr 26, 2014
Hi
Looking for the hl-2280DW service manual, I found a forum where they explicitly say that the printer is built for the American market only, 110/120 volts. Although it is a pity, luckily I have not disassemble the printer to see if it is dual voltage ...
I've seen the prices of voltage transformers and they are quite expensive. I'm thinking that the best decision is to buy a estampante UK.
I am very grateful for your advice, you opened my mind ...

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
OK. It's a shame you have to throw away a good laser printer. Maybe you could give it to a makerspace where they might be able to use it.

Juan

Apr 26, 2014
Hi,
Is true, discard the printer is a shame, my friends also think like you. Could I ask you some questions about the voltage transformer?

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
Sure, ask any questions here. I don't have much experience with 230VAC-to-115VAC transformers, but others on this site do.

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
I read John Sirutis's review. It sounds OK. If possible, buy it from Amazon in your country. They should be responsible for validating its safety and type approval.

Your prices seem to show that the 3000 VA model is cheaper than the 2000 VA model. If that's true, then go for the 3000 VA model; otherwise, 2000 VA is plenty.

Yes, transformers do consume some energy, so you might want to switch it off when you're not using it. They are also not 100% efficient, so you will lose some energy while they're running. I can't say how much.

If it's Chinese made, I would check the thickness of the copper in the cable (not the marking on the outer insulation - the actual thickness); some Chinese manufacturers are known to lie about the gauge of wire they use. (Copper isn't cheap, and they want to save every cent they can.) If you discover it's wrong, you might also suspect that other corners have been cut. "You might very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment."

Make sure it has a suitable plug and socket.

ANYONE ELSE have opinions?

Juan

Apr 26, 2014
I don't know if it is Chinese made. I did a search on the web and found this:

Brand: ELC
EAN: 0045635388277
Label: Enovize Inc
Manufacturer: Enovize Inc
Model: T-3000
MPN: T-3000
Product Group: CE
Publisher: Enovize Inc
Studio: Enovize Inc
Title: ELC T-3000 3000-Watt Voltage Converter Transformer - Step Up/Down - 110V/220V
Circuit Breaker Protection: UPC 045635388277
ASIN: B00ER52DMW

On another site, I found:
LiteFuze is a division of Enovize Inc. (LiteFuse produces voltage transformers)

Plug: standard US 3 prong plug
Output Sockets: 1 x 110V Socket, 1 x Universal 220V Socket
The HL-2280dw came whit an standard US 3 prong plug

I should buy a adapter from the standard U.S. 3 prong plug to UK outlet... or I could cut US 3 plug and replace it for UK 3 plug...

What do you think ?

NB: If I buy the transformer and it don't work well, always will be my fault and not yours. You are a very generous person and this is more than enough for me.

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
Yes it's probably worth a try. Buy it from a retailer, not on eBay, so you have a warranty and some chance of getting a refund if it fails.

I would replace the plug. Adapters are often unsafe. It also gives you an opportunity to check the thickness of the copper in the wires.

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
You also may be able to go to a local electrical supply and buy a step-up/step-down autotransformer and wire it up yourself. I did that a few decades ago with a 1 kVA transformer for my lathe and it has worked perfectly ever since (it's a 120 VAC motor and I run it on 240 VAC). It's actually simple to do, but you do need to know the basics of safely connecting things to line power, how to make good connections, and provide proper insulation and strain relief.

Juan

Apr 26, 2014
Hi
You have proposed an interesting idea, I was tempted to, but my electronics knowledge is very poor ... I like to disassemble, assemble and fix things, but in this case I have fear of causing a mess ...
I bought the ELC transformer 3000w. I think it should arrive in two weeks. I'll tell you if it works well...or not.
I am going to change the plug to UK plug and also I will check the thickness of the copper in the wires. Can you tell me what is the minimum safe diameter of copper wires that I should see ?.
I should consider to take particular precautions on installation and / or use of the voltage transformer ?
Thank you very much

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge 14 AWG is rated for 20A and 12 AWG for 25A. (Lower AWG numbers are thicker.) Those figures are for solid cores; wires should be about 5% thicker if they're stranded. Personally I would go for the thickest I could find, provided that the wires will fit comfortably into the connection points at each end.

I'm no expert on wire sizes. Others may have more knowledge.

Keep wires away from sharp edges; don't run them under mats; keep the transformer in a ventilated area and away from anything flammable; that sort of thing. Google electrical safety tips.

Juan

Apr 26, 2014
Hi,
I got the voltage transformer today, but when I connect it, the electricity go off....
at least I tried...
again, thank you very much for your kindness

Juan

Apr 26, 2014
hello,
My problem is solved!!!
I look inside the transformer before throwing it in the trash and I found an earth leakage fault. I could fix it and now my laser printer works perfectly.
Thank you very much

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Congratulations.

What was the nature of the fault?

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
Great!

You might want to place feedback about the transformer having a fault, so other prospective buyers can get an idea of its quality!

Juan

Apr 26, 2014
I try to explain what happened (I hope you understand my english):

When I tested the transformer, the only free wall outlet at the time was close to the floor. I put the transformer on the floor over a plain carpet. I looked for a possible contact between carpet and metal box but everything was fine.
but...
the rubber feets of the metal box are held by screws. Two screws are connected to the ground wire. The screws are hidden per the rubber feets.
The weight of the transformer is 8 kg. A slice of the rubber feets sank into the carpet...and...the heads of the screws touched the carpet!.
I never thought to look at the rubber feets, I became aware when I opened the metal box and I could see the ground contacts.
I'm a little embarrassed, but I must admit it was my error.
So far, the transformer works great. while the printer is in standby, the transformer is completely silent, while working, the sound is minimal.
Thanks for your concern