Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Who's right and who's wrong?

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hello darling :) You remember lol. I thought I would jump in again on a lite note. I got fed up a bit with some of the posts and then COVID hit. Will pop in now and then

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hello darling :) You remember lol. I thought I would jump in again on a lite note. I got fed up a bit with some of the posts and then COVID hit. Will pop in now and then
Covid? You tart. You don’t need a mask for a forum!..
Of course I didn’t forget, sent an Easter egg to your work.

Martin

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Semantics. BMS often limit current to the extent that there is a variable upper limit, for example when a temperature sensor reaches its set point, to prevent overheating.

Switching off the cell is implied to be current limiting because it is usually excess current ( multiplied by duration, and offset by ambient temp) causing the temperature rise.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
You guys aren't wearing a mask?! I'm staying 6 feet away from my monitor from now on.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
Semantics. BMS often limit current to the extent that there is a variable upper limit, for example when a temperature sensor reaches its set point, to prevent overheating.

Switching off the cell is implied to be current limiting because it is usually excess current ( multiplied by duration, and offset by ambient temp) causing the temperature rise.

switching off the cell is implied?

the word "switch" is mentioned in your first word, and switches have 2 states, on or off

there is no current limiting...

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
You fail to accept that "limiting" can be binary. This is limiting you from seeing the other side of the argument. ;)

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
You fail to accept that "limiting" can be binary. This is limiting you from seeing the other side of the argument. ;)

I'm switched off, limiting can be binary?

correct I don't see how, do you have a lab bench power supply? if I set the current of an led at 300ma , if the foward voltage drops the psu will adjust or limit itself to 300ma where as a BMS would simply terminate the supply completely and the LED goes off (binary) a pause and then it comes back on again, if it's over current it goes off again

that's not limiting current, that's a switch

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Maybe you cannot use a switch to limit current. I can, and so can BMS designers.

That's not our problem.

Again, semantics. You want to pretend that current limiting needs to mean "constant current", when it does not. Anyone with the ability to use a full vocabulary would use the word constant instead of limit, if that's what they meant instead.

If you want to be pedantic and accept that it's limiting current to zero, that is still the opposite of unlimited current.

Maybe you just need a different hobby?

I will concede that it doesn't fall within the neat and tidy vocabulary you want to use, but it also does not fall outside of the more general communication of purpose.

Binary or shades of gray? Your topic has no useful purpose. That's binary to me but should at least be shades of gray to you.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
why the hell would I want to try a different hobby when I've spent the last 20 years building power supplies and circuits ?

maybe pulse width modulation confuses you? as it's either on or off on a duty cycle

do you say it's a switch mode power supply like everyone else does or do you call them current limiting power supplies? maybe you need a different hobby?