Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Why did my PA fuse blow?

dietermoreno

Dec 30, 2012
I'm no audio amp expert, But...

I think that may have something to do with the fuse issue...

Could you explain in a little more detail exactly how you made the connection between your PA and you guitar, which was plugged into another amp? Does your guitar have two amp jacks? I could only see one in your video... Was that a Live speaker line you where tapping on the strings?

Yes, that was a live speaker line. That was a speaker line from the PA connected to no load other than the guitar. The guitar uses its body as ground, so no ground wire connection is needed. AC wants to go to ground. The guitar string is connected to the tuning pegs and the tuning pegs are touching the ground (touching the floor). Therefore, when the speaker line touches the guitar strings it grounds itself and at the moment it grounds itself a big fat blue spark is formed that is heard all over the AM spectrum as a high pitched buzz.

If so, why are you trying to destroy your guitar and two amps?

Only one amp was involved with high voltage, which was the 500 W PA. A smaller amp amplified white noise comming into the PA to use the white noise as the AC. At that time I didn't know that you had to connect an amp to a load.

I was not trying to destroy the PA, because I didn't know that you had to connect an amp to a load.

I guess that was dangerous for the guitar pickups too, as the pickups could reach over saturation with the excessive current input with no load output. At that time I didn't know about over saturation.

You didn't even have all the stuff that could explode on screen. Would be a crappy destruction video if thats what you where trying to do....

That's because I didn't know what I was doing was dangerous.

Oh the irony, my description of the video says something along the lines of:
High voltage and high current is dangerous. Don't try this at home. I know what I'm doing.

You do have a grasp of how much power 500W is right?
:confused:

Enough power for every one living in my town to hear me typing my name in morse code interfering on every AM station and get the cops called to my house.:D

The cops weren't called, but maybee they would be called if the interference was more prolonged, compared to my morse signals I was only sending for 10 minutes.

Maybe the cops should have been called so they would stop me from destroying my PA!:p