Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Why is my flame sensing robot going in a circle?

Ernie's mom

Jul 12, 2021
Hello! Noob here. I'm working on a fire fighting robot. I did not design it myself nor did I write the code myself, I got it all off of you tube, just doing this as a fun project but now it's almost making me cry. I built two different models that are similar to each other and with different sketches for each but they both just go in a circle when the flame gets close to the IR sensors. I'm using an Arduino Uno, two BO motors, one L923D motor driver, 3 IR sensors, a servo and a mini water pump all powered by two 18650 batteries, 3.3 V I believe. The sensors and motor driver power on and the wheels spin. But when sensors sense the flame the car goes in an almost complete circle ending up facing AWAY from the flame. I find it strange that two separate builds with two different sketches do the exact same WRONG thing. The first one I built had four motors for four wheels and I thought that I may have wired those incorrectly, it was a little unclear from the video I was using. So I started all over with just two wheels and a caster and two BO motors with different code and had the same problem! This seems like a very simple problem, but I can't figure it out. I checked and re checked my wiring, swapped out motor drivers, switched a bunch of wires around (should've listened to the voice in my head on the last wire switch that said "you probably don't want to switch polarity here" because it smoked, melted some wires and burnt up a motor driver. Can any kind soul offer some guidance? Please?