Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Why is the bottom right buttons on my calculator not working?

mba3

Dec 14, 2019
I have the Casio FX-CG50.
Ever since I accidentally put my calculator in my bag without its case, the bottom 6 buttons just dont function, (the x, divide, +, -, ( - ), and EXE buttons all do not work.

I opened the calculator and tried cleaning the rubber inside the buttons… all to no avail. quite a shame how a £100 calculator gets broken so easily.

If anyone knows any other ways i might be able to fix this or the reason behind this issue it will be greatly appreciated!

Kindest Regards.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Buttons are usually in a scanned matrix. It is likely that all the affected buttons are in the same row (or column) of that matrix and perhaps the pcb track for that row is now open circuit. The pcb may have a microscopic crack caused by excessive pressure exerted by something in your bag.
Examine the pcb under high magnification. You might strike lucky and find a track break which you could bridge with a blob of solder.
Alternatively, if the button matrix is connected by a multi-way connector that connector may have become displaced and need re-seating.

mba3

Dec 14, 2019
Buttons are usually in a scanned matrix. It is likely that all the affected buttons are in the same row (or column) of that matrix and perhaps the pcb track for that row is now open circuit. The pcb may have a microscopic crack caused by excessive pressure exerted by something in your bag.
Examine the pcb under high magnification. You might strike lucky and find a track break which you could bridge with a blob of solder.
Alternatively, if the button matrix is connected by a multi-way connector that connector may have become displaced and need re-seating.
found that little nifty crack and used a bit of solder now it is as good as new.

thanks a ton sire.