Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Why make it more difficult than it already is?

JayBlake

Apr 22, 2013
Is it just me, or do others agree?...........

Attachments

• 555 chip.JPG
    555 chip.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 140

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Pin outs are moved around ICs all the time in schematics to make for a cleaner drawing with less jumps and cross overs and better complimentary chip placement and attachment on the schematic...

I personally would much rather have the pins rotated around the IC and have a clean easy to read overall schematic vs dealing with an ugly hard to read schematic with the pins proper...

JayBlake

Apr 22, 2013
Pin outs are moved around ICs all the time in schematics to make for a cleaner drawing with less jumps and cross overs and better complimentary chip placement and attachment on the schematic...

I personally would much rather have the pins rotated around the IC and have a clean easy to read overall schematic vs dealing with an ugly hard to read schematic with the pins proper...

Thanks, but I still don't geddit.

So the drawing is clear, but the project is (at least) as messy as it was always going to be??

You can lock yourself in, but you can't forever lock the rest of the world out.:D

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks, but I still don't geddit.

So the drawing is clear, but the project is (at least) as messy as it was always going to be??

Paper is one layer, when you layout a 'project' you will have several layers available to you...

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The default symbol I use for the 555 in KiCad at the moment looks something like your second image.

It doesn't mean I wouldn't move the functions around if I needed to to make the schematic clearer.

It is then linked to the physical representation for use in creating a PCB layout.

So both are used. (The pin layout could change too -- you might have a 14 pin 555 from the ark).

glewis721

Apr 30, 2013
Yeah I hate that. It's called pin scrambling. It just confuses me, so I always need to re-draw the schematic before I actually make the thing.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah I hate that. It's called pin scrambling. It just confuses me, so I always need to re-draw the schematic before I actually make the thing.

Do you draw capacitors different sizes on the schematic because they are in real life?

What about op-amps? do you draw the familiar triangle with the inverting and non inverting input on one side and the output on the opposite apex (and often not even show the power supply connections)? Or do you draw the outline of the package you intend to use?

The schematic is designed to pass on information about how the circuit works, not (in general) how it will look when constructed.