Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wi fi for iPad

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
From my den I can pick up free wi-fi from several sources with my laptop PC and a booster aerial. My smart phone can pick up the same but my iPad is less sensitive and can only pick up from a local source like my phone. Is there any way I can boost the aerial reception on it?
Back in the days when mobile phones were pre-digital one could get boosters that stuck on windows to improve range. Is there anything like that available now?
Deigh

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
You could get a wifi repeater - they're designed for this sort of situation. They're generally pretty simple to configure and work well in situations like this (although there are downfalls such as speed penalties, but that's more of an issue for local networks and high speed connections, where it'll be more evident).

TP-Link and Netgear have a wide range of extenders/repeaters/boosters that are enclosed in a wall plug case, so they're nice and small. You connect to the wifi repeater, select which network you want to re-broadcast, then connect to the new repeated connection on your iPad :).

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
You could get a wifi repeater - they're designed for this sort of situation.

Good idea except that they are not made for iPad. I use them on my PC but there is no way they can be plugged into iPad.
Deigh

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Good idea except that they are not made for iPad. I use them on my PC but there is no way they can be plugged into iPad.
Deigh

you misunderstand what a repeater is and how it is used
and you wont use one on your PC ... as in plugged into your PC

I thought I had already responded to this thread before @Ian and with the same comment. It seems I didn't hit post reply ... must have got side-tracked :rolleyes:

The repeater doesn't connect to the iPad (or PC), it sits in the house somewhere central and picks up the wifi signal from your router and then rebroadcasts it
hence the name repeater, then any wifi device around the house can have better access

iPads are crap ( they are crap period ... have never dealt with such a useless operating system and programs) for wifi, my wife has two of them and their wifi capabilities suck and her iPhone isn't much better

Dave

Reactions: Ian