Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wifi module IC I ordered has no pins

Vasu

Mar 14, 2021
Hey guys, I ordered an esp8266 wifi module online and the one I received has no pins on it with a bunch holes in place of pins. Did I order something wrong? If not, how do I use this IC? Do I solder pins in those holes? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

No, you ordered the right part.
You can mount pins on the module using header pins:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12693
The picture shows a long strip, that can be cut on the lenght of the module.
This is only an example, there can many more be found.
On the module side you can solder the pins to have the module ready to mount on an other PCB or breadboard.

Bertus

Vasu

Mar 14, 2021
Hello,

No, you ordered the right part.
You can mount pins on the module using header pins:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12693
The picture shows a long strip, that can be cut on the lenght of the module.
This is only an example, there can many more be found.
On the module side you can solder the pins to have the module ready to mount on an other PCB or breadboard.

Bertus
Oh okay, thanks Bertus!

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
What you ordered is not a WiFi module - it is a fully fledged micro controller with quite a powerful CPU. It is fully programmable in C/C++. It sounds like you have a development board that require very little external components to work. It will support WiFi in AP ( access point) or Client mode. Using the Arduino workbench you can even easily implement a web server on it using standard libraries.

Vasu

Mar 14, 2021
What you ordered is not a WiFi module - it is a fully fledged micro controller with quite a powerful CPU. It is fully programmable in C/C++. It sounds like you have a development board that require very little external components to work. It will support WiFi in AP ( access point) or Client mode. Using the Arduino workbench you can even easily implement a web server on it using standard libraries.
Oh yeah I know it is a full fledged microcontroller, I don't use it with AT commands. I wanted to use it with my arduino since 2 GPIO pins wasn't enough for what I needed. I called it a module because that's how I'm using it as, just like an addon to get wifi access. Thanks for the reply!

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
It sounds like what you have is an ESP01. If you get an ESP32S2( single core) Wroom instead it will be all you need as it has many GPIOs and many other features. As an upside you are already familiar with programming the Arduino and will find very little difference to program the ESP32. If you want improved WiFi you could go for the ESP32 wroom that is dual core and your application code will not affect the WiFi performance. The WiFi can further have improved range by getting a module with an IPEX/UFL connector allowing for an off board external antenna. The cost difference between the single and dual core is not huge, but power consumption is obviously higher for the dual core. RECOM make 3.3v power modules 230v to 3.3v that are ver suitable for these modules available from digkey.