Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wifi woes

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Is there an off the shelf product that will boost or improve my wifi reception? I currently use a Netgear E-6000 dongle.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Lots - just Google those words and see what I mean.

I have a wi-fi booster but you can also re-use an old wi-fi router to achieve the same result as many Youtube videos will show. Note, you are boosting the wi-fi sender, NOT improving the wi-fi reception sensitivity.

But before you go that route have you tried relocating the existing router as many range issues are fixed by simply putting the device in a better place.

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
Parabolic antennas work well to boost receive performance.

1663970213330.png

I have used them in links > 2 miles, at eevblog I think they did some testing out to 5 - 10 miles.

Regards, Dana.

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
Is there an off the shelf product that will boost or improve my wifi reception? I currently use a Netgear E-6000 dongle.
I use a 1m USB cable to extend the dongle like an antenna to avoid or aim for a stronger signal of at least 3 bars or 54 Mbps on Wifi. If that is not possible then I use teamviewer to see the remote computer RSSI signal in dBm or WiFi Speed and tune the router antenna for best reception. Sometimes it just takes pulling it away from the floor or wall or a slight rotation or re-cabling to make it more central.

Here my house has 3 levels so I put a Netgear high power Wifi Router in a more central location in the basement with a wired connection to extend the main modem wifi which is in a house corner to extend connectivity on a different subnet like 192.168.x.1 and change x. This also improves range outside in the driveway and back yard.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Lots - just Google those words and see what I mean.

I have a wi-fi booster but you can also re-use an old wi-fi router to achieve the same result as many Youtube videos will show. Note, you are boosting the wi-fi sender, NOT improving the wi-fi reception sensitivity.

But before you go that route have you tried relocating the existing router as many range issues are fixed by simply putting the device in a better place.
100% agree about placement. I have little if no say as to physical placement of router. Landlady's place across driveway. I do possess a discarded router that was working when uninstalled. Hmm.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
I use a 1m USB cable to extend the dongle like an antenna to avoid or aim for a stronger signal of at least 3 bars or 54 Mbps on Wifi. If that is not possible then I use teamviewer to see the remote computer RSSI signal in dBm or WiFi Speed and tune the router antenna for best reception. Sometimes it just takes pulling it away from the floor or wall or a slight rotation or re-cabling to make it more central.

Here my house has 3 levels so I put a Netgear high power Wifi Router in a more central location in the basement with a wired connection to extend the main modem wifi which is in a house corner to extend connectivity on a different subnet like 192.168.x.1 and change x. This also improves range outside in the driveway and back yard.
I have 10 foot extension so as to dangle my dongle outside of my travel trailer. I find it necessary to shield dongle from direct sunlight to maintain at least minimal performance.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Parabolic antennas work well to boost receive performance.

View attachment 56314

I have used them in links > 2 miles, at eevblog I think they did some testing out to 5 - 10 miles.

Regards, Dana.
HOLY BAJEEBERS ANT MAN! You putting my on? That sounds stupendous. I watched video on directional homemade antennas but their angle of range was acutely narrow, tho significant boost to tran/rece capability.