Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Will you become a ghoul from climbing a radio tower?

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
Fallout references aside, my friend showed me this video of these base jumpers who climbed a transmission tower:

And it got me thinking, is the radiation coming off this tower strong enough for it to be unhealthy to be that close for the time it'd take to climb?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Fortunately, the radiated power should have been enough to have sterilized them. So there won't be any progeny from them to compete for a Darwin Award.

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
A long time ago, there was an article in a rag-mag about an RF technician who developed skin cancer, then sued his employers for compensation, as he worked for long periods near live commercial VHF transmitters.
In another case, a guy allegedly received second-degree burns on exposed skin areas while working in the parabola of a large microwave transmitting ground-dish. Think they said it was a radio telescope or satellite link. If true it must have been a departmental communication breakdown.
EDIT:
Wiki has an interesting article on "current" research done on this topic, outlining various frequencies, heavy theory into sodium ions, etc.