Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Windows 10...opinions?

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
Yeah, I did also (in fact, I actually used Clonezilla to back it up too!).

But from what I have read, Microsoft actually deletes your license of Windows 7 after 30 days. So if I reverted my computer back to a saved image, I would be scared that Windows would want me to buy another license. Since I don't use that computer much, it wouldn't really be worth it.
Dan

I wouldn't think your license would be invalidated. That would be absurd on Microsoft's part. However, it will still be tied to the machine originally installed on. I ran ProduKey on my Win10 intstall and it still has my key listed as Windows 8.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Yeah, I did also (in fact, I actually used Clonezilla to back it up too!).

But from what I have read, Microsoft actually deletes your license of Windows 7 after 30 days. So if I reverted my computer back to a saved image, I would be scared that Windows would want me to buy another license. Since I don't use that computer much, it wouldn't really be worth it.
Dan
If I understood the licensing better I could assist you with that... If they delete the local copy of the key then you can simply revert and be fine.
If they delete their remote copy of they key, then when your machine attempts to verify it's "Genuine", it will provide you with a nag-screen that you may not be genuine or may be a victim of software counterfeit.
You could always make a Clonezilla copy of your install before rolling back to Win7 and see what happens :p

VirtualBox is good stuff. Have not used it a lot but it would be my go-to for a VM.
I've used VMWare a number of years ago and had issues. It works great on enterprise hardware, but not so well on consumer hardware unless you want to sit and google for hotfixes for things like the system clock being out of synch or unusually high CPU usage.
VirtualBox is easy to use. Not quite as efficient though, but I highly recommend it for end-users who would be using it on their laptop or home computers

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
If I understood the licensing better I could assist you with that... If they delete the local copy of the key then you can simply revert and be fine.
If they delete their remote copy of they key, then when your machine attempts to verify it's "Genuine", it will provide you with a nag-screen that you may not be genuine or may be a victim of software counterfeit.
You could always make a Clonezilla copy of your install before rolling back to Win7 and see what happens :p

I've used VMWare a number of years ago and had issues. It works great on enterprise hardware, but not so well on consumer hardware unless you want to sit and google for hotfixes for things like the system clock being out of synch or unusually high CPU usage.
VirtualBox is easy to use. Not quite as efficient though, but I highly recommend it for end-users who would be using it on their laptop or home computers

I just spent the time to download and install the latest version. I was waaay out of date...

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I wouldn't think your license would be invalidated. That would be absurd on Microsoft's part. However, it will still be tied to the machine originally installed on. I ran ProduKey on my Win10 intstall and it still has my key listed as Windows 8.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2971...our-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.html
They have tried some absurd stuff already. Like attempting to kill the 'used games' and borrowed games scene on the Xbox One. Community blow-back caused them to revert changes, or the poor kids would need to pay MS for a temporary license to use their friend's game disk that they were leant.

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
Man they are really stupid. That would hurt the kiosk rentals like RedBox who rent Xbox games.

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
Microsoft will be the overlords of the software industry. Pretty soon we will have to kneel to log in.....:eek:

Password not accepted...you must kneel lower!!!!

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
About the only thing I like about Windows 10 so far is the fact that the start screen is gone, now integrated into a 'start menu' of sorts.

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
8.1 Pro has been successfully restored to my PC. I made the choice after trying to burn a few videos. The software just didn't want to work. I started a project with several photos and a single music track. I am using Nero Video. I have used Nero for many, many years. This inability to author discs broke the camel's back. The program wasted one disc then on another it got to the end of the burn cycle and hung up. I had to abort the project but somehow the disc plays.

They can keep Windows 10...free or not.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
8.1 Pro has been successfully restored to my PC. I made the choice after trying to burn a few videos. The software just didn't want to work. I started a project with several photos and a single music track. I am using Nero Video. I have used Nero for many, many years. This inability to author discs broke the camel's back. The program wasted one disc then on another it got to the end of the burn cycle and hung up. I had to abort the project but somehow the disc plays.

They can keep Windows 10...free or not.
Well. It's minor, they may have that fixes in a hotfix or service pack.
Glad you rolled back successfully though.

Hellmut1956

Aug 11, 2014
I have installed Windows 10 on an empty HD I have available in my PC. Starting the PC from that HD makes it impossible to access my RAID10 disk on which my usual Windows 7 runs. As a consequence when starting in a way that makes it possible to start Windows 10 I do not have access to my raid Disk. When setting up the BIOS of my PC such that my usual Windows 7 on the RAID y get the display to choose between Windows 7 and a Debian I have installed on yet another HD in my PC. But the option to start Windows 10 does not appear! So by changing settings in Bios I can either start Windows 7 or Debian Linux, or Windows 10!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Windows would not let the installer run due to it thinking it had adware inside the installer.

Well, it does.

Having said that, I'm going to try upgrading a windows 8 notebook I have.

I hope I don't regret it.

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
Well, it does.

Having said that, I'm going to try upgrading a windows 8 notebook I have.

I hope I don't regret it.

You will not regret it if all goes well and you do not have hardware issues such as mine. I like 10. 10 does not like me...:(

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
So by changing settings in Bios I can either start Windows 7 or Debian Linux, or Windows 10!

I use Linux Mint for my day-to-day development at home. My wife uses it on her laptop for everything most people do on their computers.

EK61

Jan 5, 2014
It's nothing compared to Windows 7. Minor improvements here and there plus an annoying UI and a buggy kernel. Compared to Windows 8 it's more of a far better UI but worse underneath.

Some people say it's fine and others say it's garbage. I think this is to do with whether or not they've been unfortunate enough to encounter an OS-breaking bug.

I feel for those who have Windows 8 now more than ever. They have an impossible decision to make. Suffer the 8 GUI or the broken 10 kernel.

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
It's nothing compared to Windows 7. Minor improvements here and there plus an annoying UI and a buggy kernel. Compared to Windows 8 it's more of a far better UI but worse underneath.

Some people say it's fine and others say it's garbage. I think this is to do with whether or not they've been unfortunate enough to encounter an OS-breaking bug.

I feel for those who have Windows 8 now more than ever. They have an impossible decision to make. Suffer the 8 GUI or the broken 10 kernel.

I reverted back to 8.1 pro. I gave up a great looking interface in my opinion but stability was not there. I have to deal with the start screen from time to time but that is seldom. I boot into the desktop every time and it feels like using 7. Until they fix the problems I encountered, I will not be going back to windows 10 anytime.

EK61

Jan 5, 2014
I reverted back to 8.1 pro. I gave up a great looking interface in my opinion but stability was not there. I have to deal with the start screen from time to time but that is seldom. I boot into the desktop every time and it feels like using 7. Until they fix the problems I encountered, I will not be going back to windows 10 anytime.
Try Classic Shell. I teamed it with a Vista theme (complete with adware, yay!) and it looks great. (Once I removed the adware)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Try Classic Shell. I teamed it with a Vista theme (complete with adware, yay!) and it looks great. (Once I removed the adware)
Good call... The 'interface' can usually be replaced by other 'shells', just like android can change it's 'launcher' or 'homescreen'
It's simply a program that is open by default in the background. If you don't like it, you can always try an alternative.