Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wire up my skirting boards for surround sound

mm125183

Apr 3, 2017
Hi

I am redecorating my house, about to install skirting boards now. I'm looking to run decent speaker cable behind or under the skirting and have it pop out on the skirting surface with a headphone jack connection. I then want to wire a jack connection for each of my surround sound speakers so that I can plug them into the skirting board to save wires everywhere (wooden floor, no carpet to hide under).

I hope to do the same with any new surround sound system in the future, just plug them in.

Has anyone done anything similar? Would you recommend a better way?

Any responses greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
You don't mention the dimensions of the skirting. 1/8 headphone jacks are weak and failure prone. Good quality 1/4" are a lot better but still relatively weak for a permanent install like that and capable of less current.

I'd sooner install a recessed binding post panel like the following, and then people will also be less confused about what it is, less prone to plug a set of headphones into it and blow them out. In other words, I recommend using the most common connector type for the job when possible. You can also get similar binding posts without the cup, but it's a good way to mount them in wood via a larger surface area than machining out some little cavity and thin hole for a tiny panel mount jack, unless you wanted to get really elaborate and machine a metal mounting bracket to support the jack, with the bracket screwing into a recess in the back of the skirting instead of the front.

http://www.parts-express.com/round-speaker-terminal-cup-2-15-16-gold-banana-binding-post--260-283

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Are your surround sound speakers passive, or do they require mains power?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
^ Good question, I assumed passive or else I'd have suggested digital wireless instead of wire.