Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wireless charging and audio playback from cellphone?

flashist

Mar 3, 2014
Let's first have a little disclaimer, if you're into good sound, this will probably have you cringe; I'm aware of the fact that there will be severe reduction of sound quality, and mostly liked the idea as a gimmick, and to see if I could.

I was adding a 3.5 mm jack to my car stereo the other day, and I just had a bit of a moment of silly inspiration. I had just seen an iFrogz Boost, which is a wireless inductive speaker with amplifier. So it got me thinking, if I could open one of these or similar up, and have it connected to the car stereo making it wireless. After all, it's just some coil and amplification circuits. While playing with the thought, I thought of the fact that my phone has wireless charging, which got me thinking about adding it all together. Making it so I could just place my phone in some pocket in my car, which would charge while playing the music.

The wireless charger was QI charger, which from my understanding runs at 80kHz or higher. So would it be possible to have these two running next to each other, as I imagine the charging would noise up the induction for sound, with a filter cutting at around 30kHz, still far above hearing frequency? And could I simply take the speaker cables and solder them into a 3.5 jack to get the sound to the car stereo? I wouldn't think these kind of speakers amplify the signal too much for the stereo amplifier to handle?

Last edited by a moderator:

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
The Boost is an inductive receiver, not a transmitter. Very different circuits, very different inductor designs. You can't push audio backwards through an amplifier.

ak

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
The Boost is an inductive receiver, not a transmitter. Very different circuits, very different inductor designs. You can't push audio backwards through an amplifier.

ak
The idea was to combine two products for a complete solution.
Using 'The Boost' to pickup audio and send to the car head unit, and using a Qi charger packed together to charge a phone while it's on the device.

Kenneth Tan

May 22, 2015
Why not a bluetooth speaker where you recharge the internal lipo with a Qi charger?