Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wireless ECG electrodes

corrado

Mar 20, 2017
Hey there guys. I have something in mind for a long time but i'm not an electronic guy at all, as instead i'm a biomedical software engineer. I was wondering if some of you know or have any idea if an ECG electrode could be make wireless, like bluetooth, which then pairs with other electrodes on the body.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
After a heart attack and my heart arteries being fixed, I wore a portable ECG a couple of times that recorded the ECG for 24 hours. I even wore a portable blood pressure cuff that woke me every hour while it did its thing.

My hearing aids talk to each other and are programmed wirelessly with Bluetooth.
The cataracts in my eyes were also fixed but not with electronics.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Does not smell viable to me.
A power source like coin cells on every adhesive probe, with a transmitter...
Highly sensitive amplifiers to pick weak signals built in each electrode...
Several adhesive probes transmitting in close proximity on the same band and the interference within themselves; working in an environment with many other electromagnetic disturbances...
Feedback from RF transmitted data into the sensing amplifier milimetres away...
Integrity and durability of the electrodes when manipulating to replace batteries and replace adhesive pads...
Effects of inertia and momentum on a comparatively massive adhesion pad.
Receiver selectivity and immunity to ambient RF...
Multiplied by the number of pads = number of potential simultaneous problems...

I also wore once a 'canteen' recorder to ECG signals, read at a proper diagnostics station, but electrodes were all wired to the pads.

But go ahead, give it a try ! Innovations are by innovating. Just keep many nervo-calm pills on hand, and come back with results and findings.

corrado

Mar 20, 2017
Well i guess those issues could be solved. The point is that i dont have the faintest idea where to start. I never did any electronic stuff. Do you know how can i do this? Or someone i could ask?
I do like doing stuff myself, like repairing cell phones or stuff like this, but what do i need to this?

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
"i guess those issues could be solved." Perhaps, with blood, sweat, tears and years.

I would venture to say the expertise/expert you need is in medical electronics engineering. -Softwaring is not electronics-
And too complex subject to tackle on a forum. Your "dont have the faintest idea where to start" skills may not be enough to direct accurate requests nor follow suggestions/guidance that you will not understand.

corrado

Mar 20, 2017
"i guess those issues could be solved." Perhaps, with blood, sweat, tears and years.

I would venture to say the expertise/expert you need is in medical electronics engineering. -Softwaring is not electronics-
And too complex subject to tackle on a forum. Your "dont have the faintest idea where to start" skills may not be enough to direct accurate requests nor follow suggestions/guidance that you will not understand.
Yeah, maybe you're right. Well, for now i'm just quite happy to know that this is not impossible. I'll search for someone to help me with this, maybe a partner in a startup about this.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Get other opinions than mine, in other forums or professionals in medical electronics.

corrado

Mar 20, 2017
I've looked at that project. Apart from the name and scope, I guess I'm afraid I can't understand how to traslate that to wearable ecg electrodes. Do you think it may be possible? We can give it a try...

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There is no significant reason why the electrodes need to be physically connected to the device, however they measure small differential voltages, so at the very least they need to be connected to each other.