Maker Pro

Wireless intercom for a disabled person

MikhailNYC

Mar 16, 2017
I am clueless about electronics and would greatly appreciate any help or advice
from experts on what to do in the following situation:

My mother is handicapped and essentially can't walk. She lives in NYC and
a home attendant comes to help her every day. Right now she's renting
in a building with a doorman, but I figured it might be better in the long run for her
to buy a small apartment. With the doorman present, the building entrance is unlocked, and she
keeps the apartment door unlocked for the attendant to enter (and it's a safe area).

The problem with finding an apartment for her is that most apartment buildings in
our area don't have a doorman. Home attendant can
ring the buzzer at the building's entrance, but my mother won't be able to get to the intercom
system by the door of her apartment to press the button to unlock the entrance.

My question is what are the standard solutions in this situation? One would presumably
need to extend the intercom system in some wireless way to allow her to press a button
from her room and let the person in. Are there simple ways of doing it? Is there a system
I can buy online and then get an electrician to visit and connect it to the intercom?

Any recommendation and advice are really appreciated!

Mike.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
There are simple1-channel remote control systems on ebay that a re very low cost. The transmitter is a key fob like from a car, and the receiver module has a relay. The contacts can be wired in parallel with the button switch on the intercom panel. Not a project for someone "clueless", but you might have a friend who could manage it.

ak

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

yes, that could be used to do the job

But I really, strongly urge you to spend the money and get a proper medic alarm for her
They are designed to ring a phone number to a 24/7 monitored alarm centre where appropriate action can be taken

This over comes any short comings of the doorman not being available to respond to your mothers' call for help
in what may be a life or death urgent situation

Dave

MikhailNYC

Mar 16, 2017
Dave,

Totally agree about the alarm, we're getting her one. But having a medic alarm is independent of being able to open the door via an extension/remote control of intercom, that would be for letting her home attendant in. So that remove control system is needed in addition to a medic alarm.

Mike.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Dave,

Totally agree about the alarm, we're getting her one. But having a medic alarm is independent of being able to open the door via an extension/remote control of intercom, that would be for letting her home attendant in. So that remove control system is needed in addition to a medic alarm.

Mike.

cool :)

OK for the door, how about a key card operated door latch ? nice and easy that the attendant just holds against the reader at the door
Other cards can also be programmed for family member access

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'm with davenn on this. Install a key card reader or even a simple keyless push-button door lock/unlock entry system. Try a local locksmith for a system that will work for this situation.