Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wireless remote driveway sentry?

Richsmith

Jan 17, 2012
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and have a question that maybe some of you guys may be able to help out with.

I was wondering if there was a kit out there somewhere or what the best way to go about building a remote driveway sentry. This device would have some kind of sensor that could detect a vehicle entering into a property driveway and send out a signal that is picked up by a receiver to alert the property owner.

Ideally the receiver would be a small battery powered device that could be worn or carried by the owner who could be up to 1000 metres away from the sensor/transmitter.

I know there are commercial devices on the market that can do this but they are quite expensive so i was wondering if there was a cheaper way to build such a system.

Thanks for any help guys.

Rich.:eek:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Hi Rich,
depends on how sophisticated your sensor needs to be.
How about using a batttery powered remote doorbell? If you manage to get the bell button actuated by the car entering the lane, the transmitter will ring a chime in the receiver (e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/meters-Range-Remote-Wireless-Doorbell/dp/B001GQBTW0).
A plank across the lane entry, properly supported so the transmitter will not be crushed by the car, could do the job.

More sophisticated solutions could start with a light barrrier sensor type. From there on features could be added at will like detection of objects only if they exceed a certain size (cars, but not people) etc.

Regards,
Harald

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Traffic is often monitored with a metal detector system at traffic lights and to monitor speed.
For temporary monitoring, they clip a sealed rubber tube to the road and use a pressure switch to detect increase in pressure.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
They make a pressure switch tape, or there are plenty of proximity sensors available.
Considering the fact that you want remote notification of the event, I'd start looking for
a commercially available system. That way you'd get a complete package you just
need to install.
Considering the simplicity of what you need, I would guess a complete package would
not be all that expensive.
Try looking at house alarm systems, I'm sure you'll find a system in with those that
monitors driveway traffic.